Search the forum,

Discuss Unevenness of the wall to be tiled in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com.

Hello,
I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some cement compound and waterproofing "mud" layer I measured the evenness of the walls.

On 1 m of straight edge there is about 2-3 mm of difference on bigger surfaces. However, when approaching the corners and bottom of the shower with the straight edge the difference is about 5-8 mm (siehe sketch).

sketch.jpg

The mortar will be applied to the wall (10 mm trowel) and to the tiles itself (4 mm trowel).
The tiles will be 60x60 cm (8 mm thick) with a seam of 2 mm.
In my opinion I should be able to correct the unevenness of the wall using the mortar, since it is 14 mm thick and could be "compressed" when putting the tiles on the wall. What worries me a little bit is that the tiles have to be vertical so at the bottom they will barely have any mortar and at the top there will be a lot of place to be filled with mortar.

Or should I try to put the first row a little bit inclined until I reach the surface which is far more even?

Thanks.

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Heck of a gap you got over there mate. I would try my best to straighten up the walls prior to waterproofing/tiling, that saves me adhesive and installation time. Easier when installing the tile as well.
Is it a shower? If yes, you got to do some waterproofing over there.

Last edited:
It is the german product called Schomburg 1k Aquafin. Has to be applied in at least two coats which get thinner as they dry. This corner does not to be completely waterproof because it is partially outside shower. The shower itself has to be waterproofed (as well as floor of the whole bathroom) with special sleeves and strips at the edges and pipes. At least 2 mm of dry coat is required according to the code we have to follow.

No, the drainage is in the middle, I just applied new sleeve and waterproofed everything as required from the waterproofing manufacturer. It would be nicer to have some lineal drainage, but that would required complete remodelling of the shower which is not that easy (everything put in concrete here in Germany, see Photo).

20240526_172243.jpg

I am not facing a problem that my wall in the corner is not that vertical anymore. I had to put more waterproofing material in the lower part (see Photo). Should I be able to correct this with mortar? I guess my tiles on the left have to be still vertical, should I just make them completely vertical and then fill the gap in the upper part (so the tiles are flush with the wall in the corner).

20240526_172252.jpg

It will be hard to put the edge profile correctly if the corner is not vertical. Or am I thinking too much about this detail? Thanks.

Basically, the corner that I "fixed" is not bowed anymore but it is not vertical either.
The problem is that once I start tiling the tile edge of the tiles at the corner will be vertical (it has to be) so going up the wall the gap behind the tiles will be bigger and bigger. As you can see in the photos I guess there is at least 5 mm of gap on 2 m of wall. And I not sure what to do about it.
Taking off waterproofing is not easy, it is solid as a rock, but if there is no other solution, I will have to take if off and apply new coat, since this is where the problem actually started (too thick waterproofing right at the bottom of the corner).

20240529_074332.jpg

20240529_074345.jpg

20240529_074425.jpg

Reply to Unevenness of the wall to be tiled in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I plan to tile our bathroom with 60x60 cm tiles (8 mm thick) and the shower (because of the slope from all sides) will be done with mosaic tiles (5x5 cm). After researching I came to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement