Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice For Setting Out Tiles Before Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

philrab66

Hi all been browsing for a few days like to say seems like a very good forum, makes a change for people wanting to share there knowledge without being bitchy and sarcastic to people who want to learn. Anyway I am not a tiler but I do get asked to do a few bathrooms and kitchens. I used to hate it but have become a bit quicker and learnt a few tips along the way. I have watched lots of videos and one in particular was tiling a floor. They set out a grid on the floor, measured cuts laid them first then tiled the rest. I have always done it the other way round done the bulk then cuts the next day. Would like a view from the professionals on this practise.
Thanks in advance Phil..

J

J Sid

Hi
For me it all depends on the size of the floor.
Small floors, bathrooms etc, u would probably dry lay with all cuts and then mix a bag of adhesive and fix.
Larger floor I would do full tiles first with rapid set , then jump on floor after a hour when dry to do the cuts.

J

Just Rizzle

Hi all been browsing for a few days like to say seems like a very good forum, makes a change for people wanting to share there knowledge without being bitchy and sarcastic to people who want to learn. Anyway I am not a tiler but I do get asked to do a few bathrooms and kitchens. I used to hate it but have become a bit quicker and learnt a few tips along the way. I have watched lots of videos and one in particular was tiling a floor. They set out a grid on the floor, measured cuts laid them first then tiled the rest. I have always done it the other way round done the bulk then cuts the next day. Would like a view from the professionals on this practise.
Thanks in advance Phil..
if I were to do it your way m8 I wouldn't be making any money, lay and put cuts in as I go the more I do the easier it is. practice makes perfect

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Smaller bathroom floors I would loose lay first then stick them down.
Any other floor I would do the cuts as I go, any complicated cuts I would do before mixing the adhesive, I only use rapid set and I don't use spacers just straight edges, square the room by using the wall that your eye follws when entering the room.
I find I can fix 20 m2 a day on a straight forward floor using this method.
And welcome to the forum.:):):):):):)

P

philrab66

Smaller bathroom floors I would loose lay first then stick them down.
Any other floor I would do the cuts as I go, any complicated cuts I would do before mixing the adhesive, I only use rapid set and I don't use spacers just straight edges, square the room by using the wall that your eye follws when entering the room.
I find I can fix 20 m2 a day on a straight forward floor using this method.
And welcome to the forum.:):):):):):)

Thanks for all your comments and thank you Andy for your welcome. I only do it occasionally but I am starting to enjoy it more as I learn a few tips along the way. i hear a lot of people say they do not use spacers does that mean on wall tiles also?

J

Just Rizzle

Thanks for all your comments and thank you Andy for your welcome. I only do it occasionally but I am starting to enjoy it more as I learn a few tips along the way. i hear a lot of people say they do not use spacers does that mean on wall tiles also?
I remember the days when we used matches and dried spaghetti

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Changed the thread title to something more helpful. "Need advice" is just too generic. All threads needs advice.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always put cuts in as i go, i hate going back to put cuts in, much quicker for me
Same on a wall, when i use a batton to work off i do the wall, take batton off and put cuts in , does my head in having to fill in

O

Old Mod

Yep never go back over any wall or floors, always insert cuts as I go.
When I was doing contract work I often used 2mm yachting yarn as a spacer. U can remove all the spacers in a minute or so and it cleans the joints as u pull it free! And of course u can insert your spacer along a whole course in one go, takes seconds. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Just Rizzle

Yep never go back over any wall or floors, always insert cuts as I go.
When I was doing contract work is often use 2mm yachting yarn as spacers. U can remove all the spacers in a minute or so and it cleans the joints as u pull it free! And of course u can insert your spacer along a whole course in one go, takes seconds. :)
never used it my self but sceen it used yrs ago
some thing I use is karndean design strips there 2mm or 2.5mm in width there excellent for holding mosaic in place then when set pullout

O

Old Mod

never used it my self but sceen it used yrs ago
some thing I use is karndean design strips there 2mm or 2.5mm in width there excellent for holding mosaic in place then when set pullout

Good idea!
Yeah the reason I used to get it from a marine store is because as its a marine cord, it doesn't absorb moisture like a regular string.

Can we edit previous posts, like with the old format?
My last post is not English at its best! Haha

Reply to Advice For Setting Out Tiles Before Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks