Discuss 77mm between concrete and existing tile floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

j45p41

TF
Reaction score
Hi,

we've been victim to an AWOL builder who has not left enough space for us to insulate with 50mm pir board, screed and then tile.

I was thinking 50mm PIR board over concerete, chipboard and then no more ply.

Should I self level the concrete, assuming the concrete is level but just bumpy or would the PIR board form a level enough base?

Could I just use no more ply on top or should I use a layer of notched chipboard? Thanks!

J

J Sid

Is the 50mm board because of building regards?
Is there damp course membrane under concrete slab?

D

Dumbo

As @JulianSidney is there a Dpm,
I would consider liquid dpm that is specific to tiling , so one that can deal with a low build up on top , level over then stick 50 mm insulation boards on top followed by 20mm boards unless you can get 70mm boards .
You may need to check this against building regs to check that the insulation values are up to spec.
If you want to tile don't make a floating floor it will fail .

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

we've been victim to an AWOL builder who has not left enough space for us to insulate with 50mm pir board, screed and then tile.

I was thinking 50mm PIR board over concerete, chipboard and then no more ply.

Should I self level the concrete, assuming the concrete is level but just bumpy or would the PIR board form a level enough base?

Could I just use no more ply on top or should I use a layer of notched chipboard? Thanks!

Is 50mm pir critical. If you could reduce this to 40mm using a better performing insulation underpaid perhaps with thermofoil you could then put 35mm of Gypsol rapide screed on top.

j45p41

TF
Reaction score
Is the 50mm board because of building regards?
Is there damp course membrane under concrete slab?

Thank you for your help.

Yes PIR is due to building regs and there is a DPM below concrete but I was going to add another on top before PIR anyway, given that I will be using chipboard.
Is 50mm pir critical. If you could reduce this to 40mm using a better performing insulation underpaid perhaps with thermofoil you could then put 35mm of Gypsol rapide screed on top.

Hi Yes, 50mm is required. We had to haggle and get it reduced from 75mm.

So at the moment i go 5mm over what I need, if only there was a way of getting chipboard that I could lay tiles on directly.... :)

D

Dumbo

Thank you for your help.

Yes PIR is due to building regs and there is a DPM below concrete but I was going to add another on top before PIR anyway, given that I will be using chipboard.
Don't use chipboard if you can avoid , you will thank us in the long run , in fact do not under any circumstances make it into a floating chipboard floor if you want to tile it .

j45p41

TF
Reaction score

Here is a possible solution - anybody used DITRA?

mm
Allowance
70​
PIR Insulation
50​
chipboard
22​
Schluter DITRA Matting
3​
tile depth
5​
Overshoot
-10​

Still got the 10mm overshoot though :)

Reply to 77mm between concrete and existing tile floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks