Search the forum,

Discuss 600mm polished porcelaine tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sibleytiling

need a bit of advice guys, im about to start a floor(wednesday) for a cpl, and i saw their tiles today they are 600mm square polished black porcelein tiles and the edges on the tiles are perfect 90degree. my question is simple. how do i go about grouting tiles with a 90deg edge? if its any use they want 5mm spacers.
do i run the grout just below the edge of the tile or do i run it level with the top of the tile.

S

sibleytiling

if anybody has any pics as an example of how they think i should grout it up please post them aswell

D

david campbell

i think 5mm grout lines in polished porcelain will ruin the look of the floor!

T

Tomtiler

imo i wouldnt use anything bigger than a 3mm spacer and definetly keep the grout flush with the tile for a better all round finish :thumbsup:

S

sibleytiling

i did advise a 3mm or maybe even a 2mm. but the customer has insisted on a 5mm and as we all know the customer is always right. i have shown him tiles laid out with 2mm and 5mm but he is adamant

T

Tomtiler

yeah id prefer the 2mm too that looks really nice in a big area we tiled princess square in glasgow in 3mm imo i would have preferd 2mm :thumbsup:

J

Jelthetiler

need a bit of advice guys, im about to start a floor(wednesday) for a cpl, and i saw their tiles today they are 600mm square polished black porcelein tiles and the edges on the tiles are perfect 90degree. my question is simple. how do i go about grouting tiles with a 90deg edge? if its any use they want 5mm spacers.
do i run the grout just below the edge of the tile or do i run it level with the top of the tile.

Not the B&Q ones are they? I had a 60sqM kitchen diner a few months ago and the customer wanted 5mm gap. I would have preferred 3mm flush joints, but hey ho, wadda we know?!!

P

peckers

if i was to use 5mm joints and still keeping the grout flush with the top of the tiles then i would be inclined to make the grout a little bit stiffer then normal so as when washing it down it doesent try to drag some of the grout out and leaving it below the top of the tile, I would wash the tiles down to remove the excess off the face off the tiles on the first wash without touching the grout joints! as the joints start to dry out then was the tiles and the joints doen togeather, you will have to watch out that the grout may try to pull out from the joints! the wider the joints are the harder it is to maintain a level with the top of the tiles, this is why i would make it slightly stiffer then the norm! it will be harder to work with but with 5mm joints you will be able to push the grout in well enough to make sure the joints are full!
Shame you cant get them to change there mind and use smaller joints but hey ho!!!

S

smokey1234x

would use 2mm joints on them tiles myself, i think wide joints tak the look away from big shinny tiles like them, but wat the customer wants they get

Reply to 600mm polished porcelaine tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen