Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Warped backer board | warped no more ply after priming! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SteUK

Evening all, me again!

Just primed (3 to 1 sbr) one side of a sheet of my backer board in preparation for putting some up tomorrow and it has warped! I can press it flat to the wall but it has me concerned. How much warp is too much? Is this normal?

Thanks!

S

SteUK

Hehe. Yeah. They say prime both sides with 3 to 1 mix of sbr.

Even with my diy knowledge I laughed when I read that. Don't worry, I have a mapei tanking kit for around the bath (and over shower) area ;)

It's probably only warped 5mm on the short end and 10mm on the long edge. I was going to put it up with adhesive then screw down when set. Guess I will have to kind of level it out with screws before the adhesive sets. But be careful not to go mad with the driver!

S

SteUK

Hi judge,

Thanks for the input!

Manufacturers say their 6mm is fine for walls. Though they say dot and dab is how to fix to solid walls, which I cannot get on board with...so putting down a full bed of adhesive and mechanically fixing as per instruction as well.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

so this board does not like water on one side only reminds me of a sponge .the water resistant a great get out always read the small print if you go to b&q you will find water proof bucket adhesive read the small print water resistant .shame on mapie so when do they put the truth in big letters

W

White Room

so this board does not like water on one side only reminds me of a sponge .the water resistant a great get out always read the small print if you go to b&q you will find water proof bucket adhesive read the small print water resistant .shame on mapie so when do they put the truth in big letters

Your'd then read it Ray.....

J

Just Rizzle

so your going to install some moisture resistance board then tank it out .the board is a mear 6mm thick wouldnt you better off in my opinion plaster boarding with 12 mm plasterboard and tank that out your going to get the same result or are you the plaster board is twice as thick so should be less flexable. as far as I was aware no more ply is more for floors than walls.
I would plaster board and cover with kerdi membrain

S

SteUK

I am never one to usually go against advice of those with more knowledge and experience than me, but in this case all the materials have been bought and advice taken from the manufacturers, who say it's fine in all their literature and back it with lifetime guarantee!

Got 4 boards up now...and I have another question regards tanking! (Sorry!)

Should I be taping over all the washers/screws as well as corners? Should I tape the board to the bath?

Thanks!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
With the tanking tape? Bath yes. Screws won't hurt but no not usually.

Reply to Warped backer board | warped no more ply after priming! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks