Discuss Victorian geometric tiles... in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bunnycd

Hi folks,

I have been admiring some of your albums tonight and I have fallen in love with the geometric tiles, I would love to know the process of laying these in a hallway, what is involved? I know they are very labor intensive.

M

Mike

as with most tiling, the planning is so important. if you measure and plan the floor you can get an accurate design along with your tiles off original styles,there are other companies too but i'm not familiar with them. you need a perfectly flat/solid floor, slow set adhesive, a good straight edge and plenty of time and patience. there are some experts on here who can advise you too.

T

Tenchman

Check out the st helens geo on my albums that gives a good idea of setting out. it took approx 9 hours to set out properly and i finished on a pencil mark on the skirting i had put there at the start.

I wouldn't go along with some of the advice from the Co's that sell these products very few if any of the people who sell tiles have ever laid a floor .

Most advocate a centre start but if you have laid all the field and your border is out or you haven't allowed for a variable ( cut between wall & border edge) then there isn't any allowance for a bend etc in the wall.

I have seen borders that have most of the elements removed to get it to fit!!!

When i lay a geo floor i lay one long & one short return of the border and the field goes in from either top left or top right corner and the floor is laid on a 45 degree angle.

Sounds weird but i have laid hundreds of floors. they are all within a millimetre perfect so i must be doing something right.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As Tenchman says Bunny, this type of work is very rewarding for the fixer and the customer. Not everyones cup of tea, but I love it:thumbsup:

A

Aston

i like geometric tiling because it allows you to focus on the tiling rather than the metres!!.
you cant rush it. you have to plan it out, get the floor nice and flat and then work steadily but accurately.

some guys on here have years and years of experience to their names in this field...phil, tj and tenchman, all top craftsmen imo

Reply to Victorian geometric tiles... in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay