Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Underfloor heating problem fixed!!!!! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bugs183

A while ago i posted here saying that i'd had an underfloor heating job fail. I laid two mats under a limestone floor both myself and the sparky checked and it appeared everything was fine. After the installation was complete the customer said only one part of the floor warmed up, oh dear i thought!
After a few leads i was put in touch with Steve Ashby of Ampleheat.
I described the problem and arranged for him to come out. He said it usually results in only one tile being removed, and would cost £300 + VAT.
Well yesterday we went to the job, within minutes of removing the controller and connecting various meters to the tails he suggested there was a clean break not far from the controller. Attaching another box produced a 'clicking' sound right by the door, thats the tile.
He removed the tile using an Exakt Saw on the grout (much quicker and safer than a multimaster as you can set the depth), then carefully removed the tile,and there it was the cut cable.
Now it's here i'd love to blame the sparky for not knowing there was a problem, and i'd love to blame the wood floor fitter for cutting through my cable, but i have to put my hands up, it was me!!!!!!
A loop of cable must have moved during levelling and stopped just in the door frame, i usually lay the boards slightly past the door so that that the edge is strong. So after we tested i ran my multimaster across the board, cutting the cable. Stupid boy!!!!!!
So it was fixed, he tested the circuit and checked the floor with a thermal imager to check all the floor, he was done by 12.
So there you go, it's not a disaster if the cable is cut, he is known by the under floor heating suppliers so their gaurentee is still in tact, and you don't have to smash your lovely floor up.
Ta Steve! Saved my bacon, and is a very nice fella too.:hurray::thumbsup: GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg

B

bugs183

Someone had put a slab of Jade down as a floor, it cost 10's of thousands for it, only to find there was a fault in the mat..oops
and my fave was finding out a labourer cleaning the joints with a stanley knife isn't a good idea, he sliced through EVERY cable!!!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Disaster and half!!!! Cleaning joints with a stanley?!?! Just goes to show that you should work clean and clean it out while you can use a sponge still!

The jade thing sounds costly though, but to be fair, it sounds like somebody had the money for it! I think I'd have just left it as a cold floor and bought a fan heater lol

Reply to Underfloor heating problem fixed!!!!! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks