Discuss underfloor heating on bitumen floor in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gslack

hey guys

In 2 minds wether to put underfloor heating in my kitchen. I've currently got a bitumen floor which I've read you cannot put it directly onto the floor. Now will 6mm boards be ok to put down then lay it on top of that? (trying to minimise the height of the finished floor level).

Is it even worth having underfloor heating and what sort of difference does it make to room temperature? whats the costs involved with running it?

Thanks

Q

Qwerty

10mm insulation boards are better, but 6mm will be fine (obviously not so efficient).
I have electric UFH in all of my bathrooms, kitchen & hallway (all hard floors) and wouldn't ever be without it.
I don't notice the running costs as I'm not using it as a sole heating source, more secondary.
Try this to calculate potential running costs....
Electric Underfloor Heating Cost | Warmup

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As said 10 better than 6, but having something compared to nothing is a massive difference. You don't want to heat the subfloor.

Www.uheat.co.uk sponsor the forum give them a shout. They're actual electricians so know what they're talking about.

G

Gslack

I'm sort of weighing up the pros and cons but at the min I'm swaying towards not having it. Can you tile straight onto bitumen?

G

Gslack

I'm not going to be carrying out the tiling but obviously want to make sure it's done right. What's the correct stages for it to be prepped?

Reply to underfloor heating on bitumen floor in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks