Discuss Trowel Size For Porcelain Floor Tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

Leon632

Hi all. New to the forum.
I'm doing my first tiling job in our hallway.
I've got the sub floor nice and sturdy by gluing and screwing hardibacker down but need some advice on the trowel size for the job.
The tiles are pretty small. They are hexagonal and roughly 26cm x 21cm rock solid 6mm Porcelain.
What would be the best trowel notch size to use? I've read 10mm for floor tiles but that is obviously a fair bit thicker than the tiles themselves.
Your advise will be very much appreciated.

O

Old Mod

Hi Leon Welcome to the Forum!

Remember, using the flat side of the trowel, put a skim of adhesive on the back of the tile first before bedding down!
This is a very important part of the laying process when it comes to Porcelain.
Use a trowel that produces ribs that are deep enough so that when u bed the tile it gives u a solid bed (full coverage) if your floor is flat enough try a 8mm trowel with 6mm tiles. Then lift the tile and see what the coverage is like. You're looking for coverage like this;

image.jpg

L

Leon632

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have a 9mm trowel so I'll give that a go. Funnily enough i was after a 8mm one but they didn't stock any.
I'm just hoping my tile cutter cuts the tiles ok now.
I bought a sigma after reading good reviews. It glides through and snaps any ceramics I throw at it but these porcelain are rock hard. If I apply a lot of pressure on the score and snap it just gets through it cleanly.

O

Old Mod

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have a 9mm trowel so I'll give that a go. Funnily enough i was after a 8mm one but they didn't stock any.
I bought a sigma after reading good reviews. It glides through and snaps any ceramics I throw at it but these porcelain are rock hard. If I apply a lot of pressure on the score and snap it just gets through it cleanly.
Unfortunately I'm not a Sigma user so I can't really comment.
Most slide cutters have a certain technique to them, but generally speaking it's more of a snap movement when breaking, that's is to say a short sharp snap movement, but u don't actually go thro the tile, if that makes sense :)

M

Mr Tiler

Sigma wont be problem if there is it is probably the person cutting

L

Leon632

Thanks guys. Like i say i practiced on one of the tiles and got through it with a quick hard tap.
Where is the best place to tap the tile?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Lol. Definitely, no matter how rough I think my days been, I can come home, hop on the forum and be comforted that things could be worse.

*Hugs* @Mr Tiler

Reply to Trowel Size For Porcelain Floor Tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks