Discuss Travertine tile grouting advice. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile used in the whole of the downstairs, it's a Travertine tile. I've always had trouble keeping them clean, plus the pitted nature of the tile makes it near impossible to clean properly. After some research I found out that most Travertine installations have the entire floor grouted, going over all of the pitted holes, this made me happy lol.

My question is which kind of grout do I use to do this? Is there a special kind of grout for Travertine or can use a "typical" grout? Also, after I've grouted do I seal and polish? I've noticed some Travertine tiles in a room we hardly use looks nice a polished, but in high use areas they look like a matt finish, no shine at all.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Reaction score
Hi. Can you post sone pics so we can see what you gave and type of travertine
As you can see it's quite pitted in places. I intend to clean, grout and seal. Luckily I work from home so have more time than most to do it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230208-084909_Gallery.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230208-084942_File Viewer.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20230208-085012_Gallery.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 23

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As you can see it's quite pitted in places. I intend to clean, grout and seal. Luckily I work from home so have more time than most to do it.
Cheers. Strip the floor back with Grimex. Use an emulsifying pad or soft bristle scrubbing brush.

Rinse floor and leave to dry and see if any bits need further attention. Then you can see if any grouting is required. Once clean and dry (48hrs). Seal with lithofin stain stop. I don’t recommend a topical sealer on high foot traffic areas.

Reaction score
Cheers. Strip the floor back with Grimex. Use an emulsifying pad or soft bristle scrubbing brush.

Rinse floor and leave to dry and see if any bits need further attention. Then you can see if any grouting is required. Once clean and dry (48hrs). Seal with lithofin stain stop. I don’t recommend a topical sealer on high foot traffic areas.
Thanks. I plumped for LTP Mattstone H20 as it impenetrates and is low odour compared to others on the market. I'll get the Grimex.
There'll be plenty of pits to grout, the floor is full of them 👍

Reply to Travertine tile grouting advice. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks