Currently reading:
travertine sealer for bathroom

Discuss travertine sealer for bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

You will need to remove the ltp ironwax with something like Aqua Mix sealant & coating remover, i take it the shower area had a waterproofing tanking kit applied before the tiles were fixed? I would re seal these with Aqua mix ultra-solv. As travertine is natural stone it will be a lot more porous than ceramic or porcelain, so if the preparation wasn't carried properly ie tanking you could have problems in the future. I would recommend every six months a very good clean and re seal. Every time you shower wipe the travertine to remove excess water, and leave the natural stone to dry out naturally.

A

atec

not wanting to teach u to suck eggs, did u give the plaster time to dry out properly. the tiler should have advised u on this but from what im reading he probably dident. The plaster should have been tanked around shower area and the travertine sealed with a proper sealer, I would get him back. depending on how often u have used the shower Damage could already be done to the substrate.

S

sparkybaz

i plastered the room myself then left 7 days to dry .travertine then fitted,then grouted,then cleaned with ltp acidic cleaner to remove any adhesive or excess grout.then left 12 hours then first coat of ironwax then 12 hours later second coat of ironwax.
dont get me wrong the job looks great and the tile finish is good but want to make sure the ironwax will stop 100% of water penetration through the tiles

E

enduro

the bathroom was given a coat of bonding then skimmed to give added strength due to tile weight.

since i bought the tiles,sealer and adhesive all from the same tile shop i'll go back and kick up a fuss and demand they stand the cost of the strip and reseal.

finally what is the best gear to use to strip and reseal

cheers all
Aqua mix products are the best in my opinion, google Aqua mix and yo will find a supplier. Good luck.

S

Sully

the bathroom was given a coat of bonding then skimmed to give added strength due to tile weight.

since i bought the tiles,sealer and adhesive all from the same tile shop i'll go back and kick up a fuss and demand they stand the cost of the strip and reseal.

finally what is the best gear to use to strip and reseal

cheers all

You won't want to hear this but the gentleman who fixed travertine to this substrate was not a 'tiler'. You've got more serious issues than just the sealing problem.

1) Without knowing the size of this travetine, it's still likely that it exceeded the safe weights for plaster - 20kg per sq/m. The room should have been boarded out.
2) Even if you meet the safe weight limits - the plaster should have been allowed 4 weeks to dry, especially in this weather.

Where does this leave you? With a hazerdous situation whereby the weight of the tiles & adhesive could pull the skim from the walls resulting in an avalanche of tiles. Sounds dramatic - but that's where you may well be.

You need to address this issue with the fixer in the first instance, although I wouldn't be inclined to trust him to put it right. Legally, you do need to offer him the chance to rectify. Sorry, you may not want to hear this but these are the facts based on info provided.

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Hi BAZ...

Andrew is right here.....Your tiler should know about weight limits...What substrates will take what weights etc....

We hope you installation will be ok....as for the sealer...it seems to be a surface sealer so should remove ok...

Use Lithofin wexa to remove it....leave to thoroughly dry and then seal with Lithofin stainstop....this is an impregnator and won't need any further coats...

Follow the directions on the tin.....

Good luck..

S

sparkybaz

the walls are dot and dab plasterboards,i removed the old tiles but due to the surface being too rough i first applied a gypsum bonding base coat"glue particles"then applied a finish coat over that to give added strength,rather than just a finish coat over the old rough boards.the tiler then used a sealer to seal the bare plaster to stop the adhesive drying out too fast.
as i say it looks ok and all feels solid it was just the aspect of making sure the tiles are 100% waterproof and nothing is going to penetrate the tiles or grout and attack the wall causing future problems

Reply to travertine sealer for bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.