Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss top row of tiles leave uneven gap by ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

Unregistered

Am having tiling done in the bathroom. The tiles are now all up, although there is an uneven gap where the top tile meets the ceiling (ranging from half an inch to 2 inches). I am told this is because the ceiling is not level. Our tiler is suggesting we put coving to finish it off to conceal these gaps but I don't think this is going to look too good as the tiles are very modern & coving would look out of place. I would be grateful for any other solutions or ideas. I have spent loads of money on these tiles and getting bath replaced and now left with this rubbish finish... help

D

DHTiling

If you register ( it's free ) you will be able to reply without having to have your posts approved and also you might be able to show us some pics of what you have...but it sounds like your tiler hasn't set out the datums propperly..

O

Olz

Obviosuly its hard to say whats happened without seeing the walls, but it sounds like they havent been set out properly, has the tiler started with a full tile from the floor, they should have been set out with cut tiles on the top and bottom rows to make sure there was no gap. Sounds lilke he's started and finished with full tiles.

F

Fred

The tiler should have gauged the tiles so that does not happen. You have to take into account the size of the tile, to where they are going to fix, ie, a good cut as your asking to the ceiling, to the windows, to the bath , boxing in etc, once this has been set out there should not be a problem. In other words, bad setting out by the tiler!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If it is a modern house I cannot beleive the ceiling is out by 1 1/2 inches from one side of a bathroom to the other. Have you put a spirit level on the ceiling and then on the tiles to see if they are square on the wall?

D

davy_G

Your tiler should have set out with the ceiling running off in mind and cut up to the ceiling. Either filling the small gap left (1-2mm) with flexi grout or culk. Half an inch is way too much and 2 inches is totally unacceptable.
Where did you get your tiler? How did he set out the room?

T

Time's Ran Out

If its an old property and suffered bomb damage during the 2nd World War ie up to 1945, you may well have this amount of difference!
Apart from that it may be that he didn't deem a raking cut aesthetically appealing and decided to finish on a full tile.
Or he may have just made a right mess of it and wasn't worried about getting paid - I'am assuming you've witheld his money!

Timeless John.

PS - If the tiles are level you could always have the ceiling lowered and replastered.:thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

thanks for the replies. will go and take some pics and come back bit later & register. I think they started tiling near the floor - i remember seeing some sort of wooden baton going around the room and they started tiling above that. The ceiling used to have wooden cladding so I asked them to take it off and replaster / skim the ceiling.

There has been a number of people in there working together - plasterer / tiler / plumber headed up by a guy that was recommended to us. The tiles are level so I presume they did bodge job by not ensuring ceiling was level before tiling. I agree that lowering ceiling is best route - although sounds like a hassle as it has been painted and spotlights are in. Do I have any other options? Someone suggested using the same tile as a border at the top of the wall.

G

grumpygrouter

If its an old property and suffered bomb damage during the 2nd World War ie up to 1945, you may well have this amount of difference!
Apart from that it may be that he didn't deem a raking cut aesthetically appealing and decided to finish on a full tile.
Or he may have just made a right mess of it and wasn't worried about getting paid - I'am assuming you've witheld his money!

Timeless John.

PS - If the tiles are level you could always have the ceiling lowered and replastered.:thumbsup:
Or he didn't have the skill to cut tiles on an angle?

O

Olz

thanks for the replies. will go and take some pics and come back bit later & register. I think they started tiling near the floor - i remember seeing some sort of wooden baton going around the room and they started tiling above that. The ceiling used to have wooden cladding so I asked them to take it off and replaster / skim the ceiling.

There has been a number of people in there working together - plasterer / tiler / plumber headed up by a guy that was recommended to us. The tiles are level so I presume they did bodge job by not ensuring ceiling was level before tiling. I agree that lowering ceiling is best route - although sounds like a hassle as it has been painted and spotlights are in. Do I have any other options? Someone suggested using the same tile as a border at the top of the wall.

Or you could get him back and get him to do it properly, why should you have the cost of lowering the ceiling, it aint going to be cheap having a false ceiling put in and plastered.

T

Time's Ran Out

We get a little more detail/information on each post.
As per Oli if he was paid to put in a new ceiling get him back to put it in level - at his expense!

Timeless John.

R

Rob Z

Hi unregistered, the photos will help a lot...as John mentioned, it is quite possible for the framing and plaster to be out that much. We do a lot of work in old houses and I deal with this on most jobs :mad2:. We finished one last fall that had the ceiling out about 6 inches in 6 feet :yikes:.

R

Rob Z

No, I just have customers that love to live in million dollar, 100+ year old houses that have settled and shifted every which way but loose, and don't see the problem with floors, walls and ceilings that are so far out of level and plumb that nothing fits right.

That one I mentioned...we mudded everything and our work is flat, level and plumb, but the ceiling wasn't getting redone without taking the roof off.:yikes:

Reply to top row of tiles leave uneven gap by ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks