Search the forum,

Discuss top row of tiles leave uneven gap by ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Olz

thanks for the replies. will go and take some pics and come back bit later & register. I think they started tiling near the floor - i remember seeing some sort of wooden baton going around the room and they started tiling above that. The ceiling used to have wooden cladding so I asked them to take it off and replaster / skim the ceiling.

There has been a number of people in there working together - plasterer / tiler / plumber headed up by a guy that was recommended to us. The tiles are level so I presume they did bodge job by not ensuring ceiling was level before tiling. I agree that lowering ceiling is best route - although sounds like a hassle as it has been painted and spotlights are in. Do I have any other options? Someone suggested using the same tile as a border at the top of the wall.

Or you could get him back and get him to do it properly, why should you have the cost of lowering the ceiling, it aint going to be cheap having a false ceiling put in and plastered.

T

Time's Ran Out

We get a little more detail/information on each post.
As per Oli if he was paid to put in a new ceiling get him back to put it in level - at his expense!

Timeless John.

R

Rob Z

Hi unregistered, the photos will help a lot...as John mentioned, it is quite possible for the framing and plaster to be out that much. We do a lot of work in old houses and I deal with this on most jobs :mad2:. We finished one last fall that had the ceiling out about 6 inches in 6 feet :yikes:.

R

Rob Z

No, I just have customers that love to live in million dollar, 100+ year old houses that have settled and shifted every which way but loose, and don't see the problem with floors, walls and ceilings that are so far out of level and plumb that nothing fits right.

That one I mentioned...we mudded everything and our work is flat, level and plumb, but the ceiling wasn't getting redone without taking the roof off.:yikes:

S

stevee

my first house in 1984, was over 100 years old,with ceilings like this,adds character:lol:, but are common in some streets,steve

T

Time's Ran Out

loved the (bomb damage), & 6inchs in six feet, do you guys live in IRAK, its just crap tiling :hurray:

Could well be - but without the age of the property it could also be the character of the building.
Why are tilers sounding more like plumbers every day - prepared to criticise other 'tilers' work without seeing or understanding the background to 'unregistered/guest' points of interest.

Timeless John.

Reply to top row of tiles leave uneven gap by ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen