Discuss Tilling over different floors (membrane/cement boards) + other questions... in the DIY Tiling Forum | How to tile area at TilersForums.com

A

angelboy

-
Reaction score
I need to tile over a concrete floor on ground level (Utility & WC) and a first-floor timber floorboard floor (bathroom). I've bought some 144mm x 895mm wood effect tiles for all three rooms. I also have some Schluter DITRA 25 Uncoupling Membrane which I'm planning to fit directly on the concrete floor.

Do I need to put cement boards on the bathroom floorboards before the uncoupling membrane or can I put the membrane down without the cement boards?

Also, with the size of the tiles do I need tile levellers? I saw a guy fitting the a similar tile on youtube and he didn't use them. All the other times I've seen them used is with larger tiles.

A

angelboy

-
Reaction score
Sooooo.....no tilers in here? I thought there might be a few that could answer a question on tiling..........?!?

P

Paulg83

TF
Reaction score
Cement boards will be fine without the ditra on your bathroom floor.

Ditra is fine on your concrete floor

P

Paulg83

TF
Reaction score
Cement boards will be fine without the ditra on your bathroom floor.

Ditra is fine on your concrete floor

If you are a newbie to tiling then I would use clips, plank tiles can be bowed so you're probably best.
Read the instructions on the box as it might state not to lay them in a half bond. Use slow set flexible adhesive and minimum 10mm trowel

A

AdrianM

-
Reaction score
I very much doubt you could tile over 3 different areas with 2 different subfloors and expect it to be level or even good enough to take a large format tile
personally, I would adhesive down 6 mm Jackoboard backed up with screws and washers and continue over a few inches onto the concrete to minimize any deflection in the 2 subfloors
then I would latex over the whole area to self-level and make good any height variations also don't forget to prime all floors prior to fixing
as far as staggering the joints I would only go a quarter or a third down the length of the tile
without seeing the job or pics then that's the best I can offer

A

angelboy

-
Reaction score
I very much doubt you could tile over 3 different areas with 2 different subfloors and expect it to be level or even good enough to take a large format tile
personally, I would adhesive down 6 mm Jackoboard backed up with screws and washers and continue over a few inches onto the concrete to minimize any deflection in the 2 subfloors
then I would latex over the whole area to self-level and make good any height variations also don't forget to prime all floors prior to fixing
as far as staggering the joints I would only go a quarter or a third down the length of the tile
without seeing the job or pics then that's the best I can offer

Thanks for the advice. The 2 different subfloors are in 3 independent rooms, so there's no worry.

This is the latest advice I've been given.

Utility room & WC - Concrete floor: self-leveling bond, self-leveler, flexible adhesive (6mm towel?), Ditra 25, flexible adhesive, tile (fixed with levelers & 10mm trowel).

Upstairs bathroom - Floorboards: screw floorboards down, 6mm No More Ply - glued & screwed, NMP primer, flexible adhesive, tile (fixed with levelers & 10mm trowel)

Does this sound about right?

Reply to Tilling over different floors (membrane/cement boards) + other questions... in the DIY Tiling Forum | How to tile area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)