Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Large Format - 2 Rooms Meeting At 22Deg Angle At Doorway in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

Deleted member 59001

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi there,

I am looking for advice on tile layout for a new build.

We are putting 600mm x 600mm large format in the kitchen and running it out the hallway.
The kitchen is at a 22Deg to the hallway.

The edges of the tiles will not aligned at this angle and so i am looking for advice how best to have a nice seamless transition from the kitchen to the hall at the doorway. Images attached.

I am trying multiple offsets of the kitchen tile, while wanting to have the hallway tile central.

Grout is 1.5mm

Much appreciated for any advice

Attachments

• IMG-4652.jpg
    IMG-4652.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-4651.jpg
    IMG-4651.jpg
    841.6 KB · Views: 31
OP
D

Deleted member 59001

Hoping somebody would have any suggestions or best practice ?

Many thanks,
Tom

Reaction score
Only way I can see is if you can set hallway so joint line is running middle of door opening, then use that joint line as a setting out point for main room, the joint would meet visually at the door opening but the joint line will be effectively changing to a diagonal bond which will run centered through room. Very hard to call without a scalable drawing

Reaction score
Hi Richard,

Just checked that and it should work out perfectly by splitting the angle.

Appreciate that 👍
Glad it's worked out Tom . Does the angled grout line fall between the depth of the architraves ? If you're using a grout that closely matches the tile colour , the grout line not following the line of the door , shouldn't be that noticeable .

OP
D

Deleted member 59001

Glad it's worked out Tom . Does the angled grout line fall between the depth of the architraves ? If you're using a grout that closely matches the tile colour , the grout line not following the line of the door , shouldn't be that noticeable .
Yes, i have it such that the angled grout line is within the door threshold, which is 350mm depth, as its a cavity wall.

Reaction score
Hoping somebody would have any suggestions or best practice ?

Many thanks,
Tom
Hi Tom,

I have to pick you up on one issue on your plans: the minimum joint width on a tiled floor is a 4 mm grout joint. That is standard and of Building Regulations for tile.

I can assure you that 1.5 mm is FAR too limiting when it comes to fixing tiles. At best, even rectified Italian tiles of the highest quality and cost have a factory tolerance of 0.7mm. Add this difference over a floor with a 1.5 mm joint, no tiler has a prayer of staying true and square.

This was Building Regulations for tile when I qualified back in 2006 at least.

There are a lot of new house buyers right now with a lot of YouTube experience, and I welcome them to this forum.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 59001

Hi Tom,

I have to pick you up on one issue on your plans: the minimum joint width on a tiled floor is a 4 mm grout joint. That is standard and of Building Regulations for tile.

I can assure you that 1.5 mm is FAR too limiting when it comes to fixing tiles. At best, even rectified Italian tiles of the highest quality and cost have a factory tolerance of 0.7mm. Add this difference over a floor with a 1.5 mm joint, no tiler has a prayer of staying true and square.

This was Building Regulations for tile when I qualified back in 2006 at least.

There are a lot of new house buyers right now with a lot of YouTube experience, and I welcome them to this forum.
Evening,

Appreciate that feedback and certainly something i will go back and look at.

As regards experience, with the exception of working with my father when he went tile after he retired from the police and did that for 4/5 years. I am limited.

He was very particular and did great work, however, it was a very long time ago and technologies and house spec’s have moved on so much along with the increased size of the tile.

I have decent experience in the construction trade and have done a considerable amount of my new build myself, but because of all the change that has happened over the last decade or so, i would fall into the youtube category at the minute.

If you do see any further posts/threads from me, i’d welcome any comments

Thanks,
Tom

Reply to Large Format - 2 Rooms Meeting At 22Deg Angle At Doorway in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock