Discuss Tile over existing ceramic floor with underfloor heating in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

Edb

Hi there,

I wonder if you guys can give me some advice please?

Currently my kitchen floor consists of a concrete sub floor overlayed with 9mm insulation board, warmup loose wire ufh element and then flexi adhesive and ceramic tiles around 6-8mm thick. The question I have is, can I save the ufh by simply tiling over the existing tiles? I will probably be using a thin limestone flag tile around 10mm thick and am hoping that the heat will still be felt through the new tiles.

I am aware that the best option would be to rip the old floor up but I would really like not to have to pay out for new ufh and insulation board again as it has only been down 3 years.....the wife fancies a change!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Ed

W

White Room

If your fixing a thin limestone onto an existing tiled floor with ufh then a decoupling membrane would be required and the heat would struggle to get thru those layers.

You know where this going, rip out IMO

T

Time's Ran Out

For belt and bracers you should be starting again! However you'll probably get another 3 years out of thin limestone before she changes her mind again and by then the ufh will have no impact.
Best choice would be to change the wife!!

J

J Sid

I had a similar thing in my kitchen. Screed floor, Insulation boards, UFH wires and the floor was tiled. 6 months later wife said " don't like the tiles " so went straight over with a 10mm porcelain. 7 years later all good, no problem with the heat coming through at all.
If i was going over with a stone, then yes i would use a uncoupling membrane, this would not stop any heat coming up.
So from personal experience you will have no problem at all, just let her pick the tile so there is no come back on you.........

E

Edb

Great stuff, thanks for all your replies. Quick question, what's a uncoupling membrane?

I might now need some advice on how to tile a dog house as the wife's just seen this post...doh!

thanks again.

S

Sarah sparky

For belt and bracers you should be starting again! However you'll probably get another 3 years out of thin limestone before she changes her mind again and by then the ufh will have no impact.
Best choice would be to change the wife!!
🤣

Reply to Tile over existing ceramic floor with underfloor heating in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks