Discuss Small Strip of Hardie Backer on Floorboards in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Mirjam

Hello.
I have to screw down Hardie Backer board on existing floorboards (with adhesive) for tiling first floor bathroom and toilet.
The Hardie Backer is 800mm wide, the toilet is 830mm. Is it OK to have a 20mm strip of Hardie Backer on one side? I could not screw it down then. Or should I rather make a joint in the middle of the room, but all can be screwed down?

Thanks!!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I always keep off cuts of Hardiebacker for that very reason Mirjam. Yes, you can have a 20mm strip on one side. However, I would not buy a new piece of Hardie just to cover a 20mm gap down the side. If you have a 20mm strip as an off cut then use it. I don't know how long your toilet is, but remember to stagger any joints (like brickwork).

J

jollyroger

I would NEVER fit a 20mm or 30mm strip of Hardi board, my advice is don't try and put all the boards in the way you describe. I would start by cutting a 3rd off a board and fit the larger piece. you will need to cut ALL the boards and remember to stagger the joints.
I suspect you might be trying to avoid cutting them but you will get a more professional job by doing so.

J

jollyroger

My own preference for cutting Hardi is to score 3 or 4 times on both sides with a stanley knife and snap........Gives you a lovely neat cut but you will go through a shed load of blades.

C

charlie1

Don't use grinder! Creating dust with this stuff should be avoided lads! Score with stanley, place straight edge along cut then snap board by pulling it towards (yes) towards you. Make holes for pipes by scribing with knife then hammer it out. Any dust you do manage to create should not be dry swept.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Well until henry gives up on me and the world stops producing dust masks then ill stick with the quick and extremely easy grinder option

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
HD02666_020648.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Get the biggest pieces down with as few joints as possible is my preferred method. On a wc of that size 1 join in the middle of a floorboard would be best. Only stagger the bond on larger areas and tape the joints.
Each to their own with regard to cutting. Follow Hardie instructions is best but never cut in an environment that has other people around!

Reply to Small Strip of Hardie Backer on Floorboards in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks