Discuss Second opinion on work carried out in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Looking for advice as had a bathroom and kitchen place into do my bathroom. And kitchen and I'm not happy I've posted pics of the work

The way it has been done the tiles has came over my door frame and I'll have to reduce a door size because of this... The floor grout has all cracked been told the floor must be moving... Grout isn't a consistent color throughout.... Some tiles cut short it seems..... Its a fairly reasonable size bathroom and it got done in one day and grouted the same day

Tiles are ceramic 690x240

Totally got no experience in all this

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_125148.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20210218_125057.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20210218_125046.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210218_124919.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20210218_124908.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20210218_124400.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20210218_124143.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20210218_124258.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20210218_124044.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210218_123838.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20210218_123833.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20210218_123827.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20210218_123824.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20210218_123757.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20210218_123712.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
Looking for advice as had a bathroom and kitchen place into do my bathroom. And kitchen and I'm not happy I've posted pics of the work

The way it has been done the tiles has came over my door frame and I'll have to reduce a door size because of this... The floor grout has all cracked been told the floor must be moving... Grout isn't a consistent color throughout.... Some tiles cut short it seems..... Its a fairly reasonable size bathroom and it got done in one day and grouted the same day

Tiles are ceramic 690x240

Totally got no experience in all this

Many thanks in advance
Also they haven't removed the old tiles as you can see in one of the pictures the room was agreed to go back to the brick

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_123141.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20210218_124143.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20210218_125046.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210218_125057.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 69
Reaction score
I really hope they haven’t used that greenstar to stick those tiles on with 😳.
Are the cracked grout areas wall or floor.
Thanks for the reoly

There was green star tub left in the house and see the company rep bringing a few tubs in when I popped by the house as I'm. Not living there just yet..... Cracked grout areas are floor..... This bathroom has only been used for the occasional pi** when popping down and with the electrian who's rewiring the house

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the reoly

There was green star tub left in the house and see the company rep bringing a few tubs in when I popped by the house as I'm. Not living there just yet..... Cracked grout areas are floor..... This bathroom has only been used for the occasional pi** when popping down and with the electrian who's rewiring the house
Ok .. well that adhesive is totally wrong for the walls, should have been a bagged cement based adhesive . That bucket adhesive is only suitable for max 300x300 ceramic tiles and deffo not for those tiles and definitely not for over tiling.
As for the floor , it certainly should not be cracking like that.
Sounds to me like a right bodged job.

Reaction score
Ok .. well that adhesive is totally wrong for the walls, should have been a bagged cement based adhesive . That bucket adhesive is only suitable for max 300x300 ceramic tiles and deffo not for those tiles and definitely not for over tiling.
As for the floor , it certainly should not be cracking like that.
Sounds to me like a right bodged job.
Thanks for the reply again

Where they have the old tiles on they have put plasterboard over then but everyone I spoke to said dot dabbing plasterboard over ceramic tiles is a recipe for disaster

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I see you do this as a professional

Would you say its a full rip out?
Firstly I would be asking they’re method of installation, especially with the adhesive, when you use tiles that big , bucket adhesive will take ages to dry if ever. Obviously it wasn’t a tiler and imho a multi trade who tries to do everything.
Have you spoke to the company yet ?

Reaction score
Firstly I would be asking they’re method of installation, especially with the adhesive, when you use tiles that big , bucket adhesive will take ages to dry if ever. Obviously it wasn’t a tiler and imho a multi trade who tries to do everything.
Have you spoke to the company yet ?

Yes spoke to them they are proposing to just do the one wall and the floor but there is a multitude of sins and I feel a full rip out is needed and is within rights of asking for going by the pictures I've shown..... They came down and Brought tiler with them coukd be anyone I guess but what he said that one wall where old tiles are under the plasterboard there was excessive lapping he said and thr floor needed done again and when I was pointing out other things he was brushing it off..... Also dave when using plasterboard in a shower area is there regs on what they have to use as it's all bog standard 12.5mm plasterboard

Thanks

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes spoke to them they are proposing to just do the one wall and the floor but there is a multitude of sins and I feel a full rip out is needed and is within rights of asking for going by the pictures I've shown..... They came down and Brought tiler with them coukd be anyone I guess but what he said that one wall where old tiles are under the plasterboard there was excessive lapping he said and thr floor needed done again and when I was pointing out other things he was brushing it off..... Also dave when using plasterboard in a shower area is there regs on what they have to use as it's all bog standard 12.5mm plasterboard

Thanks
Yes BS5385 states all areas subject to wetting has to be waterproofed. Be this in aqua panel type boards Or the area is tanked with a paste system or membrane.

Reaction score
Yes BS5385 states all areas subject to wetting has to be waterproofed. Be this in aqua panel type boards Or the area is tanked with a paste system or membrane.
If the tiles get pulled off in the shower are is it still possible to tell its not been tanked?

Thanks

Reaction score
Yes. The tanking is coloured, usually blue if a paste system, either way it shouldn’t look just like plain plasterboard.
Thanks again dave

Also is there any dimension on where this should start and stop or thr full area of shower tray?

Thanks

Reply to Second opinion on work carried out in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks