Search the forum,

Discuss Screed Drying Times...... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have done searches but either I'm not searching for the right thing or I'm wearing my blonde wig. Or both!

An existing customer has asked me to price tiling a new conservatory. I have yet to visit the site but the information I have to date is:-

"We estimate that there is about 8” concrete then there are insulation blocks and underfloor heating pipes and then about 4” of screed.
The area is 4.4 metres x 3.3 metres"

At the moment I am assuming that the screed is sand/cement. I have no idea if they want ceramic. porc or stone. I also have no idea at present if the heating has been commissioned.

What length of time is required before tiling? What will be required if the screed is not sand/cement?

Thanks,

Ian

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It depends if you force dry the screed after a few weeks.
Basic rule is 1mm a day. So 100 days if your guess in thickness is correct.
But will depend on other factors during that time. For example; warm weather or wet weather will increase/ decrease time. Running dehumidifiers will shorten, but wet trades, like plastering will decrease!
Long and short is. It's dry when it's dry. At that point a moisture test is a must.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Bet the builder has told customer that the "floor is OK to walk on....it's ok to tile"

Heard it so many times from customers.......and some take a hell of a lot of persuasion otherwise.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
OK guys Ill get a bit more info and report back. To be honest a longer time suits because I cant do it until early March!

ETA what % of moisture is indication for OK to tile?

Last edited:

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
OK, have visited site. Screed is defo sand/cement and is showing 70% on meter. UFH guy is coming in tomorrow apparently but I'm guessing the 70% is to high to be commissioning the heating? Screed was laid at the beginning of December so has been down for around five weeks or so.

B

bcd-87

Its not too bad with those screeds but commissioning the heating will dry it as its been down a while now...

I would however recommend an anti-crack matting as those screeds can be prone to cracking in the first 6 months or so...

Hi Dave

Would it need anti cracking matting if there's no UFH

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Cracks...pretty obvious to all and sundry. Curling however is not so clear to me. What signs are to be looked for?

Reply to Screed Drying Times...... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley