Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Replace floorboards with Ply or put back down and Backer board - after replacing floor joists? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

JaonsS

Existing floor covering is 18mm T&G floorboards.
If you had to replace some floor joists, and to re level some floor joists, would you:

1. bin all the floorboards that have to get removed to fix the floor. replace the floorboards with 25mm wbp ply and tile directly onto that.

or

2. bin all the floorboards that have to get removed to fix the floor. replace the floorboards with 18mm wbp ply, then 6mm hardieboard, then tiles.

3. bin all the floorboards that have to get removed to fix the floor. replace the floorboards with 18mm chipboard floor, then 6mm hardieboard, then tiles.

4. put the original t&g floorboards back down, then 6mm hardieboard, then tiles.

i know all 3 options would work, but they all have their own cost and labour associated with them.

thanks

J

JaonsS

hi
this one is different because floor joists need sorting out.
on the previous post, it was assumed that joists were okay and all that was needed was to overboard with hardie.

if the joists are getting replaced / repaired, and all the floorboards have to come up anyway, then i was asking whats the best thing to do in that situation when all the boards are already up?

put them back down and hardie, or replace while they are already up?

i appreciate your help, but i think this is a slightly different situation

D

Dumbo

hi
this one is different because floor joists need sorting out.
on the previous post, it was assumed that joists were okay and all that was needed was to overboard with hardie.

if the joists are getting replaced / repaired, and all the floorboards have to come up anyway, then i was asking whats the best thing to do in that situation when all the boards are already up?

put them back down and hardie, or replace while they are already up?

i appreciate your help, but i think this is a slightly different situation
Something that I have done is put down 12mm ply brick bond and fix to joist and then put 12 mm ply on top of that fixed brick bond glued and screwed at 150 centres . If down correctly you do not get a continuous joint from joist to top sheet at any point . When this is all done fix membrane before tiling.

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
25mm ply for me with all joints/edges picked up on noggins. primed on back and edges. deitra stuck down with AF 200 then tile.

M

Mark jude

Once joists are sorted , I'd renew . 25 mm marine ply glued and screwed ,then a matting of choice before floor gets tiled using good quality flexi ash and then flexi grout

Reply to Replace floorboards with Ply or put back down and Backer board - after replacing floor joists? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks