Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Removing "Grout Restorer" Pen in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Some muppets went and used a bright white grout restorer pen on some beigey porcelain tiles with a mid toned ivory grout. However instead of trying it in an inconspicuous location they have trid it out in the middle of the main focal point wall and upon realising it was vastly different just left it.

So my question is, what or how is the best method to remove this (and all the crayon the children coloured bits of grout with) from the grout and surrounding tiles?

Customer doesnt want to pay for regrouting :(

OP
M

Muse2k8

No idea, so will you be using a grout colourant....

Yeah was planning on using one of those sealer colourant products. Maybe if they cover over any grout pen that would be fine but its on the tiles too so that will need cleaned and I dont fancy it sticking over wax crayon.

OP
U

user123

Thinners gets of most things, and it does say on the grout restorer pens that you should not use solvent cleaners on them, confirming the fact, but on porcelain tiles I would guess that would etch the tiles? Cooking oil cleans off wax crayons a treat, but again you then have the problem of oil on grout...bit of a Pandora's box, so it really sounds like the customer would have to bite the bullet and pay for a regrout...

OP
M

Muse2k8

The customer is one of those landlords who dont like to pay for anything... but I can have fun telling them why a re-grout is the best option ;)

OP
M

Mike

The customer is one of those landlords who dont like to pay for anything... but I can have fun telling them why a re-grout is the best option ;)
tell them it's the only option and get their hands in their deep pockets :smilewinkgrin:

OP
M

Muse2k8

Yeah but I will need to clean the grout first which is the problem.

---

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

Colour Republic

Krud Kutter is one of the best cleaners I've ever used and it's great on wax. In fact ive used it to strip heavy wax off a kitchen before painting it

hor4.jpg

hor7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

Colour Republic

It was Krud Kutter Original which really is an amazing product

Here is the the UK site:thumbsup:

Krud Kutter UK::Original Krud Kutter, Stain Removal, Carpet Cleaning, Industrial Cleaning & Pressure Washing Products

UK Distributors for it are bloomin helpful too. I'm currently doing a full refurb in Windsor where a new Oak Frame has been installed inside the original house and before I took it over some numpty had coated the new green oak in Danish Oil which has darked the oak and not the look that is wanted at all. So they sent me out a free bottle of their 'Oil Grabber' to test:hurray:

More Krud Kutter product detail

bedoak.jpg

OP
U

UniverSeal

Thinners gets of most things, and it does say on the grout restorer pens that you should not use solvent cleaners on them, confirming the fact, but on porcelain tiles I would guess that would etch the tiles? Cooking oil cleans off wax crayons a treat, but again you then have the problem of oil on grout...bit of a Pandora's box, so it really sounds like the customer would have to bite the bullet and pay for a regrout...

Just to confirm, solvents don't etch (acid based cleaner can) if you use a traditional solvent to clean tiles then an alkaline cleaner will be necessary to remove and neutralise the area.

Reply to Removing "Grout Restorer" Pen in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock