Discuss Quick step by step sanity check! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good afternoon all.

I am a keen DIYer (at home) but have never tiled! I want to tile our small en suite bathroom as a first go, and thought I'd run past my logic with a pro who wouldn't mind a quick bit of input! I have completely gutted the room, rebuilt/plumbed etc and almost ready to prep and tile floor / walls. The base line floor in ply and the walls are moisture plasterboard. Floor will all be tiled, apart from under shower tray (small overlap under front side of tray, to put sealant on) and then walls will all be tiled vertically up to about waist height. Shower area will be tiled same styled as the main walls but will go to the ceiling. Same orientation / tile as main walls.

Broad brush plan is as follows...unless someone spots a mistakes or can suggest a better plan!
  1. Seal moisture plasterboard with tape / jointing compound. Smooth all edges once dry
  2. Cover shower area walls (3 sides) with Mapei primer and then mapei waterproofing liquid.
  3. Using 4mm grooved trowel, apply BAL Flex Fibre Plus Wht adhesive to all floor, including under the shower tray area
  4. Lay Durabase CI+ + Matting on all the floor, into the adhesive, using Durabase sealing strip to join sections and also along edges of wall / floor joins.
  5. Once all set, slide shower tray into 3-sided wall area. Seal the 3 top edges that are against walls. Connect shower waste.
  6. Lay floor tiles (ToppsTiles, Woodeves grey tiles 57x19cm) with adhesive and the appropriate spacers. Trowel size grooves (?)
  7. Grout floor, clean up, seal grout? Sealant around outter edges of floor tiles/walls
  8. Lay wall tiles (ToppsTiles Linear white gloss tiles 30x10cm) with adhesive and the appropriate spacers. Trowel size grooves (?)
  9. Add wall trims as required as I go, also cutting holes in tiles that require it, eg water points.
  10. Grout walls, clean up, seal grout?
  11. Sealant edges, eg where tiles meet shower tray etc.
  12. Attach sliding shower door on fourth/open side of tray, connect shower, toilet, sink etc etc, sealing where req.

Quick questions:
-Main q, is my wall logic correct/workable!? WP Pboard, primer, wp seal, adhesive, tile, grout. Dont want any leaks or the stuff falling off :)!
-Ref point 6/7, what am I looking for when buying the tile adhesive? Lots of similar looking product out there. Also, what spacer and trowel size is right for the two respective areas?
-Ref 10, can I get w/proof grout or should I get a normal grout and seal?

Thank you in advance!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
All looks ok to me.
walls You should get away with an 8mm trowel and floor a 10mm trowel. As for grout , if tou want a belt and braces approach, then an epoxy is the way . Some easy to wash off ones about.

Reaction score
All looks ok to me.
walls You should get away with an 8mm trowel and floor a 10mm trowel. As for grout , if tou want a belt and braces approach, then an epoxy is the way . Some easy to wash off ones about.
DHT: Thanks for taking the time to read it all and respond (y), and for the info. Will look into epoxy grout, thank you.

Just one other quick point. The joint compound is mostly smoothed, but some areas still have a slight bump to them. To sand more will get to the tape inside. Is this ever so slight gap ok? I.e. the tile adhesive will compensate and the tiles will still be flush?

(Placed a tile directly across horizontal PB join as an example, shadow makes it look a little worse. Point is it's not perfectly smooth)

Attachments

• IMG_5887.JPG
    372 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5888.JPG
    358.4 KB · Views: 15

Reply to Quick step by step sanity check! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks