Discuss Problem with Ardex Grout FS Innocent Black in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

jasper

TF
Reaction score
These issues aren't exclusive to ardex, BAL grout is renowned for it as are others, something needs to change
You're right - however I spoke to Topps to ask if they were having any complaints about their grout and they said they used, but none for a while and that their new Bal grout boasts 'efflorescence free'. Not sure if this is correct as I have no experience of using Bal except on a sample board. Wow, their black is very black!
I can understand issues with grout if the prep work is poor or if too much water is used or site conditions are poor, or mixing instructions aren't followed ( Mapei Jasmine used to cause people all sorts of problems if they didn't do the 2nd stir) I have used Mapei 114 anthracite and 120 black so many times and never had a problem.

jasper

TF
Reaction score
I always us Ardex grout.
have had similar problems with dark grouts, but believe it's due to water laying in joint after the wash.
Just another thought. I have just come back from hols and as you do, stood there looking at the tiling in the rest rooms to see an entire wall of black grout, gone white. Must have been 30m of it. Wasn't a cheap set up.

jasper

TF
Reaction score
I always us Ardex grout.
have had similar problems with dark grouts, but believe it's due to water laying in joint after the wash.
Julian - do you mix it drier than what Ardex recommends? I know a lot of tilers just mix the amount of water that feels right. Just curious to know if you mix the Ardex recommended amounts of water or what is in your experience the correct amount.

B

Bill

I hate black grout with all my heart.

My tip for black grout is to add a little Cementone black colouring to the dry grout powder (do a test) and IMO this helps keep the grout black, this may not help if your client needs a specific black tint.

Modern grouts can be left much longer on tiles before cleaning to help with the effervescence issue.

Balloo

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ive never had an issue with this grout before, installation has been no different than previous , weather has been veey mild so no frost has effected the product,.
It only leaves one other reason, there has been a manufacturing glich and a bad batch has been sent out
Too often tilers get the blame for not following procedures and quite frankly i get board of the same line.
Now i have to rake out all the grout at my own time and cost because the builder and ardex will run for the hills and its easier to blame me

Last edited by a moderator:
O

On one

Ive never had an issue with this grout before, installation has been no different than previous , weather has been veey mild so no frost has effected the product,.
It only leaves one other reason, there has been a manufacturing glich and a bad batch has been sent out
Too often tilers get the blame for not following procedures and quite frankly i get board of the same line.
Now i have to rake out all the grout at my own time and cost because the builder and ardex will run for the hills and its easier to blame me
I have a similar ongoing problem with another grout manufacturer.......you know that you have followed the guidelines to a tee,and it still happens!

J

J Sid

I understand your frustration, I've had it with ardex before, 6001 Adhesive. Imo and experience they will never admit liability, as many manufactures won't. Best you'd likely to get is more of there products to compensate you.
you need to be more of pain in the side of the shop you bought it and Ardex them selves.

as good as we think we are....it is sometimes fixer error

D

Dumbo

I understand your frustration, I've had it with ardex before, 6001 Adhesive. Imo and experience they will never admit liability, as many manufactures won't. Best you'd likely to get is more of there products to compensate you.
you need to be more of pain in the side of the shop you bought it and Ardex them selves.

as good as we think we are....it is sometimes fixer error
I think from a consumer law point of view @JulianSidney is correct as you have no contract with Ardex but you would with shop .
But on another note this why I don't bother with the if you use all our products for a job you get a guarantee . I use primers adhesives and grouts from different manufacturers

Q

Qwerty

So you're going to continue grouting with it?

Corin

-
Reaction score
I know this is late but the problem you faced is from water. More water equals a whiter finish. Best case the adhesive dries at 1mm per week. 2mm joint is going to be sometime in Julember. If your tile is 600mm then at least 30 weeks. The issue is that you get the grout wet whilst its going off and this washes the colour out with a very small amount of moisture. Everything else sets slightly sooner than the pigment therefore if there is moisture transfer it will bleach it at that precise moment no matter what you do. Its a common problem with brick mortar. Use epoxy based.

Reply to Problem with Ardex Grout FS Innocent Black in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks