Search the forum,

Discuss Preparing A Concrete Floor For Tiling - Floor Has Bitumen Down in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Maybe an easier way for u then is to lay a thin runner that is level to the area u want to match and u can pour your latex and pull a straight edge over your runners to achieve a level surface. That might not make sense at first but here's an image of the technique. I use it myself sometimes if it's particularly complicated. Just remember to not pull too quickly because it'll drag the latex back out.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

So set your runners level, packing them where necessary. Support them well because when u use a straight edge on them they will bend if u apply too much pressure
Pour in your latex and pull a metal straight edge back over the runners to achieve a level surface. Remove the runners after and fill in. It's fussy and time consuming but the end result is a perfectly flat and level floor. Which will halve your fixing time and save u a fortune in adhesive.

P

philrab66

Maybe an easier way for u then is to lay a thin runner that is level to the area u want to match and u can pour your latex and pull a straight edge over your runners to achieve a level surface. That might not make sense at first but here's an image of the technique. I use it myself sometimes if it's particularly complicated. Just remember to not pull too quickly because it'll drag the latex back out.

View attachment 73559 View attachment 73560 View attachment 73561

So set your runners level, packing them where necessary. Support them well because when u use a straight edge on them they will bend if u apply too much pressure
Pour in your latex and pull a metal straight edge back over the runners to achieve a level surface. Remove the runners after and fill in. It's fussy and time consuming but the end result is a perfectly flat and level floor. Which will halve your fixing time and save u a fortune in adhesive.
Thanks for that Freefall. Only trouble is I already have a layer down. I went round with a level today like this and in some places it was around 17mm high from my datum and the bloke I am doing it for is not to amused we have already used 8 mixes on it. To do it again ?
I have uploaded a crude picture.

Attachments

• Levels.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 21
O

Old Mod

The measurements u've put in, u've not stated + or - your datum line. I'm assuming that 'the hump' u've marked is 5-6mm minus from ur datum, are the rest ur datum plus these measurements? Or am I reading it wrong?

P

philrab66

The measurements u've put in, u've not stated + or - your datum line. I'm assuming that 'the hump' u've marked is 5-6mm minus from ur datum, are the rest ur datum plus these measurements? Or am I reading it wrong?
They are all high including hump.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
You can drill and plug the concrete every 2ft or so in a grid-like pattern. Then set screws in level with each other. Pour the slc up to the heads to give you a perfectly flat floor. Its a time consuming method if you're tackling it on your own but it guarantees you a good floor.

P

philrab66

You can drill and plug the concrete every 2ft or so in a grid-like pattern. Then set screws in level with each other. Pour the slc up to the heads to give you a perfectly flat floor. Its a time consuming method if you're tackling it on your own but it guarantees you a good floor.

Hi Rich thanks for post. I think I may try your suggestion I should have done this to start with. I want to check I am prepping the correct way for setting screws if you dont mind checking.
1. Set up laser anywhere in room
2. Find the highest point
3. Mark this on datum stick (level with masking tape on it)
4. Drill holes in grid pattern 2 foot squares ( could I make squares bigger, or not recommended )
5. Raise screws up to meet datum line.
Thanks to everybody for your previous help. I now appreciate how skilled the pros are it is not easy at all.
Phil.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as you're level between the screws you're fine making them 10 meters apart.

It just becomes a nightmare trying to stay level when you don't have something close as a point of reference.

P

philrab66

As long as you're level between the screws you're fine making them 10 meters apart.

It just becomes a nightmare trying to stay level when you don't have something close as a point of reference.

Cheers Dan
Was thinking that, will do 2-3 foot apart. Do I need to put any primer on existing SL. I did put some pva on thinking it was good enough to tile onto of which I just found out I shouldn't have used pva.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Evening Phil, sorry to have not replied earlier. 2 to 3 ft should be ideal. I prime slc between coats though I know others don't, however you're going to have to shift that pva sorry. If you applied it really dilute you may have got away with it. You'll have to check its soaked into the floor and not formed a skin. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

P

philrab66

Evening Phil, sorry to have not replied earlier. 2 to 3 ft should be ideal. I prime slc between coats though I know others don't, however you're going to have to shift that pva sorry. If you applied it really dilute you may have got away with it. You'll have to check its soaked into the floor and not formed a skin. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Thanks for getting back to us Rich.
The pva was really diluted luckily as it was the dregs out of a few old bottles so no skin. Have you personally done this method if so is it fairly easy to get it level with the screws , do you still have to trowel it in between the screws .Also can I just prime it with sbr without the cement.
Cheers Phil.

Reply to Preparing A Concrete Floor For Tiling - Floor Has Bitumen Down in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen