Search the forum,

Discuss Preparing A Concrete Floor For Tiling - Floor Has Bitumen Down in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

philrab66

Hi all
Got a concrete floor to tile just wondering if somebody could help me out with the prep. It has some glue or maybe bitumen on it on patches around 2-3 mm high. does this need to come off or could I get away with leaving it using a 10mm notch?. I have done a few tiling jobs but not really looked into doing things the correct way ( correct adhesive, priming and such). Will I need to prime the floor?
I am ashamed to admit that I have only mainly used tubbed adhesive because I was worried about it going off too quick because I am so slow. The only trade store I have locally is Topps so could somebody recommend what adhesives I should be using for this floor and for general wall tiling for in the future.
Would like to thank everybody in advance for your help and compliment the owners of the forum for a great site.
Phil.

D

Dougs Third Go

tbh Phil, tiling is the easy bit, prepping it correctly is what makes it easy. If the bitumen and glue residue can't be removed I'd be first prepping it with a cement/sbr slurry coat, then a decent self levelling compound, weber or tilemaster being my preferred options. Once your slc has set then prime with appropiate acrylic primer. A 10mm radius solid bed trowel and a standard set (as you've stated you're not very fast)powder adhesive, trowel your adhesive onto the substrate, ie concrete floor and give your tile a skim coat to fill the studs and away you go.

P

philrab66

tbh Phil, tiling is the easy bit, prepping it correctly is what makes it easy. If the bitumen and glue residue can't be removed I'd be first prepping it with a cement/sbr slurry coat, then a decent self levelling compound, weber or tilemaster being my preferred options. Once your slc has set then prime with appropiate acrylic primer. A 10mm radius solid bed trowel and a standard set (as you've stated you're not very fast)powder adhesive, trowel your adhesive onto the substrate, ie concrete floor and give your tile a skim coat to fill the studs and away you go.
Thanks Doug
Could you please advise me what the sbr does and how it is applied. So much to learn the proper techniques . Also if the bits do come off do I just use the primer. Thanks
Phil.

P

philrab66

This is the material.

Attachments

• WP_000234.jpg
    817.9 KB · Views: 37
J

Just Rizzle

if your in n Allerton there is direct tile importers on standard way a lot better than topps
have you any experience or done any courses?

D

Dougs Third Go

Thanks Doug
Could you please advise me what the sbr does and how it is applied. So much to learn the proper techniques . Also if the bits do come off do I just use the primer. Thanks
Phil.
the sbr/cement slurry is your best friend, it consolidates the existing substrate creating a dust free surface, gives you a good bond and interface between substrate and adhesive. If you do get the bitumen and glue residue up successfully then, yes. an acrylic primer to match your adhesive will be fine.

P

philrab66

if your in n Allerton there is direct tile importers on standard way a lot better than topps
have you any experience or done any courses?
Hi Ray
Yes I normally use Direct tiles never used topps for anything surprised they are still in business there always empty. I am a Handyman by trade so I have done a few jobs mainly for landlords done a few bathrooms and kitchens. As I mentioned earlier not really approached it very well using correct materials but trying to learn.

P

philrab66

the sbr/cement slurry is your best friend, it consolidates the existing substrate creating a dust free surface, gives you a good bond and interface between substrate and adhesive. If you do get the bitumen and glue residue up successfully then, yes. an acrylic primer to match your adhesive will be fine.
Cheers Doug do you just brush the slurry on?

P

philrab66

yep, give the floor a good clean first, ie vacuum cleaner ideally as a broom just tends to bring up more dust.
Started to remove some bitumen and found floor has a large dip around 18mm it is in a kitchen through to a hallway so a large area, for me anyway. Can you get self leveller for that sort of thickness or will i need to use something else.
Thanks Phil.

Q

Qwerty

Mapei Ultraplan Renovation Screed covers up to 30mm and is suitable for your requirements

P

philrab66

Mapei Ultraplan Renovation Screed covers up to 30mm and is suitable for your requirements

Thanks Geoff
Just been reading a few old posts and that was has been recommended a few times. Could you please let me know how you would tackle this. The floor area consists of a hallway and a kitchen. There is a door at the hallway end and a door at the kitchen end. The hallway if fairly flat but when you get about half way into the kitchen the floor drops by about 18mm over around 6- 8 foot. Where would be the best place for me to start?

Q

Qwerty

Find the lowest point and level it to meet the desired height elsewhere. A long level or laser will help

Reply to Preparing A Concrete Floor For Tiling - Floor Has Bitumen Down in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen