Discuss Porcelain floor tiles direct to screed on wet UFH without DITRA in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I had my kitchen floor tiled a few weeks back. The floor is a screed slab of approx. 24m2 over wet UFH pipes clipped to Celotex.

This screed was “hand mixed” vs ready mixed off of a truck and laid around 100 days ago of a thickness of 60mm.

Around 45 days ago the UFH was commissioned and set on a low heat and slowly cranked up and has been running on a stat since then. The screed did not crack in any places and the screed itself remains extremely strong and hard wearing.

The UFH was switched off a few days before tiling commenced so the slab was “room temp”.

So the tiler came in the morning, hoovered the screed, primed, then laid the porcelain tiles using BAL one flex adhesive directly onto the screed without the use of a decoupling matting. Tiles were laid on a full bed of adhesive (I don’t believe they were back buttered), Mapai colur plus grout was used – at this time I thought nothing of it.

So its 2 week roughly since they were laid – great job in terms of cuts, neatness and they feel solid under foot.

Before I switch the UFH back on I thought I would do a bit of research on the best practice method with turning it back on when I stumbled across some info which says that a DITRA/Decupling membrane should be used in these circumstances to better insure the tiles don’t crack/pop up.

I spoke with the tiler to get his opinion on it, and he said that it will be fine as long as I slowly crank up the UFH to running temp over the next week or so as per guide lines. He said he has used a good flexible adhesive and we are using porcelain tiles and that no cracks in the screed before starting and definitely dried out fully, so if any cracks were going to form, they would have by now. He said that he would only ever ditra UFH screed if the customer was using natural stone as this can be prone to cracking due to the natural lines in the stone itself are prone to cracking.

Clearly nothing can be done about it now other than wait and see and to be honest this post is pretty pointless :relaxed:- however I’m a little nervy about switching UFH back on.

What’s the verdict on this matter with the pros on this forum? Likely going to be fine or more likely to fail in the months/years ahead?

FWIW my UFH water temp does not need to be much more than 40 to 45 degrees to sufficiently warm the room, so the actual heat of the floor under foot is subtle.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I agree with your tiler. No uncoupling necessary. It does no harm to use it but all things being equal theres no need.

J

Just Rizzle

only putting your heating on will tell.
i personally would of used ditra like a similar job to yours i started today.
whats the tilers guarentee.?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Also any future failure cannot simply be attributed to the lack of Ditra as there are so many other things that can happen to a floor to cause tiles to fail.

Reaction score
Cheers gents, has put my mind at ease at least for now.

I guess if i had an option to do it again i would take the belts and braces option and have DITRA laid. i mean for the amount i have paid for the floor, tiles and agro if it would have ever needed to be pulled up again could be justified in my circumstances.

anyhoo its done now, fingers crossed and i guess time will tell

Reaction score
it seems to me your still not happy with your tiler for not fitting a decoupling mat, even though he has saved you hundreds of pounds, you can't win with some customers!

im not saying i am unhappy with my tiler... im simply saying i might have preferred to lay ditra for extra peace of mind to better handle any movement or cracks that may (or may not) develop over the months/years ahead is all.

@RayTheTiler has said he would have suggested to us Ditra if it was his job so im not sure as to how you think what i said was unreasonable.

That said with all the feedback i have got from the pros to my thread has put my mind at ease and i am appreciative for the input.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'd rather have customers like you that are open and willing to these products than the ones that are not wanting to spend it when they are actually required.

As for screwing folk out of money is it really a screw over when the mat is physically there and the labour has been provided to install it? What have they been screwed out over? Hardly a great money making scheme installing a mat. Isn't a great earner for me anyway 🤷‍♂️

J

J Sid

I'd rather have customers like you that are open and willing to these products than the ones that are not wanting to spend it when they are actually required.

As for screwing folk out of money is it really a screw over when the mat is physically there and the labour has been provided to install it? What have they been screwed out over? Hardly a great money making scheme installing a mat. Isn't a great earner for me anyway 🤷‍♂️
Very good earner for me 😃

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Very good earner for me 😃

Perhaps on large floors, I wouldn't class matting a 24 meter floor a great earner. I'd sooner rather crack on with the tiling.

Perhaps it's your high rates that are leading to folk feeling screwed over on matting 🤣

D

Dumbo

I've just fitted mat supplied by the customer , adhesive supplied by customer , £5 psm labour , not really going to be bothering Rothschild any time soon . But I believe in belt a braces approach .

Reply to Porcelain floor tiles direct to screed on wet UFH without DITRA in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks