Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Old house, traditional pine floorboards, 6mm ply, plus Ditra in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
ditra ok,without seeing the floor every job is different. 6mm ply- personally I don't touch the stuff with tiles, under any circumstances. Even tiling onto 24mm marine ply, I wont overboard it with 6mm ply.

T

Time's Ran Out

I would say no!
But it depends on the size of the floor, how much deflection is in joists and the weight expected to go on top of the floorboards.
British standards is 15mm exterior plywood however there are better substrates available these days .
If it's just a 1metre wide hallway you may find 6mm hardie boards suitable. But if it's a 30 metre kitchen with 2 ton of granite worktop then a structural engineer may be required.

B

Busybee1

Thanks for the responses. It's a kitchen, 15' x 21'. The original floorboards have been over boarded with 6mm ply nailed down, then some very sticky stuff, then ditra matting, then adhesive, then the tiles. They are large tiles, about 10" x 20".

The tiler laid the tiles this week. A couple of other things made me question the work, but now I'm getting worried about the ply base thickness.

Does using the ditra mean you can use a thinner base? Are my tiles likely to crack?

B

Busybee1

I should add that the end strip of the kitchen ( 15' x 6') is a part concrete, part tiled base, where levelling compound was used, and going across the different floor types was the reason for ditra.

B

Busybee1

I know whitebeam, I started worryng about that too. Is it a really bad sign? There were quite a lot of nails, very regularly spaced.

B

Busybee1

I have no idea whitebeam. I just remember seeing the heads and noticing they were not screws.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Screws or nails?

Nails will pop back up in no time as it swells.

Screws you might have a fighting chance. But it really needs to be replaced with an actual tile backer board.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
We posted at the same time there. So 100% not screws then. Not good news at all. Ring Schluter or the adhesive firm and get confirmation that their guarantees are now void and then find an actual wall and floor tiler not a bob the builder and get it done properly.

W

White Room

I can't believe nails are being used and 6mm ply, your best bet is probably leave it and if at a later date it shows problems then contact the tiler.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Damn it I've just read it's complete! I missed that.

Keep in touch with the tiler.

What made you come on the forum now?

Reply to Old house, traditional pine floorboards, 6mm ply, plus Ditra in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks