Discuss Materials for slate bathroom floor in old traditional stone house? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Rhedyn

-
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm looking to lay a Penrhyn slate floor, approx 1.5m x 1.8m, for a first floor bathroom in a very old (but not listed) traditional Welsh stone farmhouse, and I have some questions about the best approach to take. I have attached a photo of the underside of the wood beam and plank floor, taken from the hall and loo directly below, to show what the base flooring is made of and how it is constructed. Bathroom will not include a shower, only a bathtub.

1) Should I follow the advice given in the supplier's guide or is there a more "traditional materials" approach better suited to a property like mine?

2) If following the supplier's guide, should I use marine plywood or cement backerboard? Should I also put in some sort of membrane? Will I need to apply acrylic bonding agent onto the plywood or backerboard? What would be a good choice of adhesive?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_3769.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

gamer1

-
Reaction score
It's a good idea to consult the supplier's guide as a starting point. However, given the traditional nature of your farmhouse, you might want to blend modern materials with a touch of tradition. Penrhyn slate is a beautiful choice, and you can enhance its appeal by opting for a traditional installation method, such as dry-laying the slate on a bed of mortar.

For the subfloor, marine plywood is a solid choice due to its water-resistant properties, but cement backerboard is also suitable. Adding a waterproof membrane is advisable, especially in a bathroom. Using an acrylic bonding agent can help improve adhesion. As for adhesive, go for a high-quality, flexible thin-set mortar suitable for natural stone tiles

Reply to Materials for slate bathroom floor in old traditional stone house? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks