Search the forum,

Discuss Old house, traditional pine floorboards, 6mm ply, plus Ditra in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Busybee1

I have no idea whitebeam. I just remember seeing the heads and noticing they were not screws.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Screws or nails?

Nails will pop back up in no time as it swells.

Screws you might have a fighting chance. But it really needs to be replaced with an actual tile backer board.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
We posted at the same time there. So 100% not screws then. Not good news at all. Ring Schluter or the adhesive firm and get confirmation that their guarantees are now void and then find an actual wall and floor tiler not a bob the builder and get it done properly.

W

White Room

I can't believe nails are being used and 6mm ply, your best bet is probably leave it and if at a later date it shows problems then contact the tiler.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Damn it I've just read it's complete! I missed that.

Keep in touch with the tiler.

What made you come on the forum now?

T

Time's Ran Out

It sounds as though they have tried to do it correctly apart from the nails but only if the wooden section was deflection free.
The Ditra is an excellent product and used correctly, taped and adhered with the appropriate products will be fine.
They've taken the Ditra across the 2 substrates wood/concrete and used it as an anti crack membrane which may be ok, although the expansion joint should have been taken through to the tile surface! This can look unsightly but you should make sure to retain enough tiles to replace this area if it cracks in the future.
Without seeing the job it would be wrong to lamblast their work and other issues like heights etc may have been involved.

S

Stef

I can't believe nails are being used and 6mm ply, your best bet is probably leave it and if at a later date it shows problems then contact the tiler.
They have probably used ring shank nails at that thickness of ply so it might hold.
Sounds like they have used af200 to fix the Ditra so that should stick well to the ply.
The Ditra is the saving grace here, if the ply doesn't debond then hopefully the tiles will be fine but only time will tell.

Reply to Old house, traditional pine floorboards, 6mm ply, plus Ditra in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
  • Article
123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses 123 Year Old Johnson...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen