Search the forum,

Discuss New Tilers Support - 2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

washboys are a great assett for floor tiling dale..i never used to want one until i tried it and would'nt be without it now....even if you arn't using a washboy it's the same process..just lightly wash off with a sponge..but not too early...

J

jaime w

Hi all im in leeds just finished my tiling course is they much work out there for tiling whats the average to charge for a b room or a kitching splash back ect thanks.

D

darrenba

Hi guys, another newbie here.

I'm in the process of adding a shower room under my stairs and was wondering if there are any tips for tiling the underside of the staircase. Is there any particular adhesive I should use to stop the tiles from falling off as I'm putting them up? Or should I be supporting them in some way?
Should I also replace the current plasterboard with aquapanel or is there something I can waterproof the plasterboard with?

B

Brindle

Hi folks.
A bit of a query here again. I've searched for the answer but not found it exactly.
I am pricing a large ensuite, walls and floors. 21m ceramic walls, 8m porc or ceramic floor - cust yet to decide.
The substrate is very solid chipboard (recent new build), and runs through at the same level into the bedroom. Am I ok to tile the floor using Bal flexible providing I acrylic prime first.
I have a feeling the customer won't agree to adding another £200 for me to install tile backer board.
Cheers

Bob

D

dalerichardson

Hello, been grout with grout that is on the dark side and when it dries some of the grout lines have a light film on them and it doesn't change them when they are sealed, when the sealer dries it comes back and looks the same as it did before, what going on?

D

DHTiling

This sounds like you have an efflorescence problem...try using lithofin cement away it should help.....heres a description of what it is....

Efflorescence. A salt deposit visible on the grout or on the tile edge also becomes an unsatisfactory situation. What is efflorescence? Efflorescence results from a soluble salt present in your mortar setting bed, in your cementitous grout and in concrete slabs. It remains fairly inert unless moisture is present, in which case the salt moves to the surface where it dries into a white, crumbly powder.

Where does the water come from? It may be available in the concrete substrate or in the cement mortar (where too much mixing water has been used). The water may come from the cementitous grout itself, particularly if excess mixing water was used - a situation which also results in voids in the grout that allow easy passage of water from the concrete or mortar mix. Elimination of efflorescence is achieved by some of the following methods. When installing over an on-grade slab, a vapor retarder should be in place beneath the slab. Use a meter to check moisture emissions. Other preventive measures include allowing your setting bed to dry (and cure), using proper mixing techniques, installing dense grout joints, not using excessive water in dressing joints, and using kraft paper for curing.

T

thechef

Any advice on putting down 70sq mts of Travertine tiles?

Been asked to quote, have done some reserch about filled and unfilled, as well as sealing before grouting.

Anything I should know about?

Also I did read a thread ages ago about a tent to keep in the dust, can someone point me too it?

All advice is good...well mostly:whatchutalkingabout :thumbsup:

D

dalerichardson

Thanks, is there a way to fix or clean away the efflorescence now that it's there and if there is will it harm the overall integrity of the grout?

Dale

S

steve_mcgarry

Hi, I've been tiling for about 2 years now and have always had most of my work subbed out to me by larger tiling companies, but i have now managed to land myself a new build site with 3 houses and 6 flats local to me which is great, the problem is I am used to being given a price per m2 as a subbie, not me quoting a price for all works to be done!

The spec on the bathrooms and kitchens is pretty standard, fixing ceramic tiles on clean flat plaster with all visible tile edges to be trimmed.

I will be supplying all adhesive, grout, trim and will be PVA priming all walls prior to tiling.

If anyone could give me any tips on pricing up a job like this i would be grateful. I was looking at around the £24 m2 but am not to sure if that would scare off my customer, but at the same time I do not want to underprice the job.

Thanks.

Reply to New Tilers Support - 2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen