Search the forum,

Discuss New Tilers Support - 2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If any new tilers are stuck with anything either business-wise or tiling-wise then give us a shout in here and between us we'll see what we can come up with.

Cheers.

p.s. i've closed the old thread and will unstick it as this one gets popular.

B

baldygeezer

Hi, I have to fix a line of glass tiles 50mm x 50mm as a horizontal strip between white ceramic tiles. Should I use a different adhesive or use the adhesive that I am using for the rest of the tiling. I am using BAL white star. Thanks

B

Brindle

How long...

Hi, I am nearly at the end of bathroom number 3 and am worried that I might be too slow to make a living out of it. I might be jumping the gun a little in being so inexperienced?
How long would you say it took you to build in confidence to tackle bathrooms accurately and quickly.
I have done 3 floors also 7/9/12 m2 which I did feel went smoothly and fairly quickly.
I am trying 100% to be as accurate as possible by the way!

Thanks

Brindle

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tiler tom

What you have to work out is how long it takes you to do a bathroom against how much you are paid and work out wether you are making a weekly living.
Say a 20 metre bathroom takes you 4 days and pays you 400 and you are happy with that then days 5&6 could be used for drumming up more work so you build regular work up. I have found most customers realise there is going to be disruption where tiling is involved and are more interested in a good job rather than somebody who throws them on the wall so if you maintain your accuracy your speed will build up. You must have noticed that by how long it took to do bathroom 3 compared to bathroom 1.
If you post how long it has taken the it would be easier to answer the question more fully.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Brindle

Thanks Tom. bathroom 2 was approx 20m2 floor to ceiling with border, plus the actual floor too.
It took me around 40 - 50 hours, but that was in fits and starts as easing into tiling from existing job.

Bathroom 3 is smaller but more fiddly. Suppose I just want to run before I can walk. I take your point about the level of disruptuion though and will bear that in mind on next job.
This Forum is a big help to me :)

W

woodie

evening all, it used to take me a few days to do a bathroom when i first started this week it took me a day for a b/room and ensuite so don't worry it'll all come soon, good luck :grin:

B

Brindle

I'm growing in confidence and learning, so it's all good.

Next job......porcelain tiles on floor. The majority of the existing floor is covered in very well laid vinyl tiles. about a metre around the edge was old ceramic tiles, now pulled up, leaving iffy concrete, plus some bits of black c*ap (bitumen?)

Am I ok to self level over the concrete up to the edge of the vinyl. then next day prime it all and lay new over this surface using flexible cement based ad'? The vinyl tiles are very flat and solid.

Cheers

Reply to New Tilers Support - 2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen