Currently reading:
New notched trowels?

Discuss New notched trowels? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

burncross

Has anyone seen or used the new design 'notched' trowels, like the one in the pic, but i have seen some other designs too, like the ones at YTA (are they still a sponsor)

Attachments

• P1NT1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited by a moderator:
That's different, surely with the different size teeth your gonna get less coverage or at least different thickness's of addy on the back of the tile. Is it an 8mm with bigger 10mm inserts, in which case your using more addy than needed, if 8mm is needed ( profits ) or is it a 10mm with smaller 8mm inserts in which case the coverage may be a problem. No doubt their homework has been done, it will be interesting either way.

I have heard that it is hard to get a good coverage with the platinum trowels and it is hard to get a consistent even bed of adhesive.

I think the euro trowel would be better or wots wrong with a standard solid bed trowel..?..:smilewinkgrin:

That's the way I was thinking, it would nice for someone to give it a go on a test bed and let us know what the coverage is like, volunteers take one step forward :D :thumbsup:

S

sWe

another type here, i'v not used one myself, but i'm sure one of the guys on here will have?

I have one. Awesome coverage. Can recommend it. Especially good for PTB.

I think you will find that the notch design is designed to give full coverage in all situations, and tries to eliminate the need to back butter tiles.

Karl Dahm do similar things with something called a "Euro Notch" trowel.

The one in the picture is the "Euro notch" trowel (also called 1Y). It's made by Schneegans GmbH. The Karl Dahm version is slightly different, and is called Flowline.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

One of my buddies tried the first trowel that Burncross posted ( I think it's called "The Platinum"). He didn't like it at all and went back to the Marshalltown brand that we use.

The other one (from Karl Dahm), I got to use that at a training center, and found it to be an interesting change from what I was used to. It is a stout trowel, and I would definately buy some if there was a local supplier where I could look at them in person before buying. So far, I've just seen them available online.

R

Rob Z

I saw these a while back, on ebay i think, I cant remember who made them, the design was something to do with the way that the notches collapse when the tile is pressed into them, the funky shapes are supposed to maximise the collapsing movement or something, I remeber thinking at the time that it was a solution to a problem that didnt neccessarily exist.

Oli, that is the description that I heard...one sales rep said that the design of the trowel ensures that the thinset will "close like a zipper" when the tile is set in it. :smilewinkgrin: He swore it would eliminate all coverage problems and make sure that all installers could get tiles set properly.

I still say you have to know how to use the damn thing and how to get the substrate right, and I think a good tile setter with a crappy trowel is going to do better than a novice setter with a $50 trowel.

W

White Room

I have all 3 sizes of the platinum and find as said that if the walls or floors arn't flat it dos'nt cover that well. What I do is use the flat side and bring the adhesive up and trowel smooth then use the serrated edge, I find that works well for me and find pushing tiles into the ridges very easy. Still have Rubi, karl dahm and benson trowels, it's just whats right and works for that paticular tile and surface.

Reply to New notched trowels? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for cutting large format porc? Ive been relatively lucky up until recently and been able to cut most of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.