Discuss need advice on type of adhesive to use in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

fatah

Hi,
First time tiling and DIY in general, and i'm doing a bathroom renovation

I started off going in blind and bought my tiling supplies from a local merchant. I told the merchant i want bathroom tiles and the things i'll need to stick em up.
After searching online i realized i could have got the stuff cheaper and better products, but because of my habit of throwing away receipts, i can't return it.

The items bought were 600x300 shower tiles, ready mixed acrylic based adhesive and mould resistant grout. (and a few tools)
After doing some reading i learned that for larger format tiles, its best to use powder cement based adhesive, however the ready mixed one i've got says its super strong and designed for showers. should i stick with my current adhesive or buy a cement type like mapei fast set?

also if i stick with my ready mixed, it instructs to use pva primer on the walls. i've already got mapei plaster primer, but i'm not sure if they're compatible.

two last things, i'm willing to follow the advice from you guys. sorry if this post is hard to read, i'm not used to this.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Which brand of tile adhesive have you got and where from?
What tiles have you got, ceramic or porcelain?

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
On top of the advice already given the tiles seems a bit big for a ready mixed adhesive also. I'd double check the tub as usually they are only good for up to 30cmx30cm. The tile store were probably trying to do a favour to eliminate you having to use bagged adhesive. That could be grounds enough for them to exchange/return it without a receipt as you have been mis-sold something they may be a bit more understanding of you speak to them nicely. Worth a try

F

fatah

Sorry for late reply, i made this post before going to bed and didn't expect such fast responses.
The brand of adhesive is the name of the merchant i got it from, and i don't know if i have porceline or ceramic.
here's some pictures of my current inventory, these are the stuff i've bought so far

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry, I can’t see any text or pictures in your upload only a blue/black box.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
But I would definately follow the sound advise given by @Andy Allen, 600 x 300 tiles are likely too big for ready mixed adhesive supplied anyway.

I think you would have a good case to return the adhesive and swap for cement based.

I installed this size in ceramic last week and they weighed 16kg sqm.

Good luck with your project.

Reply to need advice on type of adhesive to use in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks