Discuss mixed material installation in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello Forum - for a lower level media room (13-ft x 30-ft), our goal is to used two (or more) tile sizes as well as a carpet tile plank in a 'Mondrian' pattern (example attached). May not stick strictly to the pattern, but it provides you with a look. Room is currently full carpet over concrete.

Assume the largest square (red in the attachment) is daltile porcelain. The black, and possibly the yellow, will be a carpet tile cut to size. Smaller rectangles will also be daltile porcelain/different color. All materials are same/very similar thickness.

Quick questions while we gather replies:

1) is an aluminum same-height trim profile (example attached) suitable for all/any part of this pattern?

2) if #1 reply is Any, can grout only be used between two tile style and alum trim otherwise? I know part of this is aesthetics, but also needing an integrity call on this approach.

3) compare the level of difficulty for the installer:
3a) grout-only and multi-size tiles - no carpet
3b) using combination grout and alum trim - no carpet
3c) difficulty for this use case, mixed material (tile and carpet) in a pattern

We've not done any DIY or hired yet for a job; also no valuable advice from the store sales staff (to be expected?) - I look forward to your expertise and any design guidance, even if it means this approach is either too difficult or unlikely to be done correctly by a contractor.

Thanks in advance!

pattern_mondrian.png

transition_same-height_schluter_SCHIENE.png

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The easiest multi-tile pattern to use is a square tile and a 'dot'.

1600421897152.png

Can you not go for something easier like this? lol

I'd choose what it is you want with the tile before you research the trim and whatnot.

But you'll be able to overcome any thicknesses in tile with adhesive (mud) etc so your choices aren't limited to the same tile manufacturer etc.

So see what pattern you're fixed with first then let us know and we'll help with the rest. :)

Reaction score
Hi Regan just wondering why you wanted to go for a combination of carpet tilies and tile and not just tile the lot? Off course it is your choice, if going for the carpet and tile combination I would tile the area first and grout, then fit the carpet tile inserts. Could always "frame" the carpet tiles with trim but not really necessary. All the best

Reaction score
The easiest multi-tile pattern to use is a square tile and a 'dot'.

View attachment 113305

Can you not go for something easier like this? lol

I'd choose what it is you want with the tile before you research the trim and whatnot.

But you'll be able to overcome any thicknesses in tile with adhesive (mud) etc so your choices aren't limited to the same tile manufacturer etc.

So see what pattern you're fixed with first then let us know and we'll help with the rest. :)
Hi Dan -
Great points, committing to a pattern seems key. All the questions obviously come from not knowing the installation gotchas. I like the pattern you shared. One of our material choices is probably twice the length of the rectangular tile in your layout. We will play around with your idea as well as hunt for an online tool where we can insert tile sizes to arrive at a repeatable pattern. Any suggestions on a tool or site?
[automerge]1600709792[/automerge]
Hi Regan just wondering why you wanted to go for a combination of carpet tilies and tile and not just tile the lot? Off course it is your choice, if going for the carpet and tile combination I would tile the area first and grout, then fit the carpet tile inserts. Could always "frame" the carpet tiles with trim but not really necessary. All the best
JK -
Appreciate the reply, we arrived at including carpet in the pattern for a myriad of reasons - not all practical I might add. The carpet is a unique boost of color we weren't finding in a tile. The carpet 'plank' is an interesting size (10in x 36in) but is making the pattern design a bit tricky. The other reason to add a bit of carpet was for some comfort for pets and foot traffic in this room. Ideally I'd like the carpet to be replaceable (much like a carpet tile) should a mess or a later design decision force us to do 100% tile eventually.

Like I posed to @Dan above, might you have a suggestion for an online tool to create patterns based on multiple tile sizes?

Last edited:

Reply to mixed material installation in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks