Discuss Lippage systems, Layout and Spacers in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Should I use spacers and anti-lippage system inserts when I cut/layout my floor tiles?

I ask, having just finished a bathroom floor using a leveling system for the first time. I used the raimondi system on 12" square tiles and the tiles came out very level but my grout lines shifted as I tightened the wedges (and probably as I went from layout to thinset too). So I wonder if I should have put "leave in" spacers at each intersection in addition to the leveling system. I hope my description is clear, thanks.

I attached a pic of one of the worst intersections. Luckily, my client is satisfied anyway. I still want to improve though!

Attachments

• Off-Tile.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 31

Paulg83

TF
Reaction score
Should I use spacers and anti-lippage system inserts when I cut/layout my floor tiles?

I ask, having just finished a bathroom floor using a leveling system for the first time. I used the raimondi system on 12" square tiles and the tiles came out very level but my grout lines shifted as I tightened the wedges (and probably as I went from layout to thinset too). So I wonder if I should have put "leave in" spacers at each intersection in addition to the leveling system. I hope my description is clear, thanks.

I attached a pic of one of the worst intersections. Luckily, my client is satisfied anyway. I still want to improve though!
Looks like you've taken your eye off the ball mate, always check and make sure you're keeping all tiles square to your setting out line when tightening clips up, flat is what you want but also for all grout lines to line up 👍

Reaction score
Yeah, I was aware that they were getting out of whack but I felt like I couldn't control them. I was hoping for suggestion on HOW I might keep them inline from layout to thinset. Is it common to use leave-in spacers at the corners for this? Or is there some hand technique on the tile while tightening clips? I know that I messed up and that grout lines should be in line.

Reaction score
Where possible I try and let my first course of tiles go off (I use rapid set), making sure they are perfectly aligned. Then I work off that course, the systems tend to slip a certain way, so letting that first course go off and tightening towards the set tiles stops them moving so much.

edit: Also be careful using sharpies on natural stone, most of the time it comes off easily but theres always a chance it will leave a mark.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Where possible I try and let my first course of tiles go off (I use rapid set), making sure they are perfectly aligned. Then I work off that course, the systems tend to slip a certain way, so letting that first course go off and tightening towards the set tiles stops them moving so much.

edit: Also be careful using sharpies on natural stone, most of the time it comes off easily but theres always a chance it will leave a mark.
Thanks, that's clever! And yes, I had an 'oh shoot' moment, barely managing to wipe off the sharpie marks. never again 😅

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
I dont think the levelling clips are really the issue mate. think you just cocked up a bit on your alignment and probably noticed too late to correct it. The clips are great for what they do, but I still check every single joint for lippage and also constantly check the tile alignment is right. Do you have a laser level? If so, start using it all the time and if not, get one. If you had a laser over the first tile joint in the previous row, you just need to line up the start of the next row with that laser line and then work from that, constantly going back and checking that things haven't moved as you've been setting (and nudging around) the freshly laid tiles.

Reply to Lippage systems, Layout and Spacers in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks