Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Kitchen Floor 12 x 12 job in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

red owl

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I'm doing a second floor condo kitchen, 6' by 9' of tile area. The surface is gypsumite (poured) over plywood. I'm going to use 12" x 12" porcelain tiles. I've put down the tiles (loose- not set) and walked on them. Floor seems level.
Questions: 1. I was told to seal the gypsumite, one source said MBP but another said Red Guard would be better. Any thoughts appreciated. 2. I was thinking of a diagonal pattern but in putting down the tiles (loose) it seems I would have to make a lot of cuts. I'm now thinking a regular pattern. 3. On the mortar. Use a 1/4" by 3/8" trowel or something else? I was going to space 3/16" and bought some rubber X type spacers. I was going to leave 1/4" against the baseboard and fill with caulk.
I have a tile snapper I used on 4" x 4" shower tile. Is there any way to make an L cut with the snapper or do I need to rent a saw?
Right now I'm shifting the tiles around to try to get the best spacing, minimize cuts. etc. As with most things, the walls are perfectly square so I'll have to fit in a lot of tiles.
I've been told I should use Versabond thin set mortar. There is an additive you can use instead of water (worth it?)
All help appreciated.

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm doing a second floor condo kitchen, 6' by 9' of tile area. The surface is gypsumite (poured) over plywood. I'm going to use 12" x 12" porcelain tiles. I've put down the tiles (loose- not set) and walked on them. Floor seems level.
Questions: 1. I was told to seal the gypsumite, one source said MBP but another said Red Guard would be better. Any thoughts appreciated. 2. I was thinking of a diagonal pattern but in putting down the tiles (loose) it seems I would have to make a lot of cuts. I'm now thinking a regular pattern. 3. On the mortar. Use a 1/4" by 3/8" trowel or something else? I was going to space 3/16" and bought some rubber X type spacers. I was going to leave 1/4" against the baseboard and fill with caulk.
I have a tile snapper I used on 4" x 4" shower tile. Is there any way to make an L cut with the snapper or do I need to rent a saw?
Right now I'm shifting the tiles around to try to get the best spacing, minimize cuts. etc. As with most things, the walls are perfectly square so I'll have to fit in a lot of tiles.
I've been told I should use Versabond thin set mortar. There is an additive you can use instead of water (worth it?)
All help appreciated.
As stated by my esteemed colleague too much lost in translation.

Reply to Kitchen Floor 12 x 12 job in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock