Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this wall and floor tiling acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Have you had an estimate / quote for the works , if so did you accept it
Are these figures varying from the estimate / quote if you had one .
There were some changes to the toilet price mainly but this "Water and Waste Provisions for New Sanitary Ware : £560" has been there all along. Does it matter if I agreed to it in the quote if I can see now that it's not a real job, even if there were "materials costs" included?

D

Dumbo

If i want to charge a customer a £1000 pound for a bag of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and its written in a quote and they have accepted it i cant think there is a thing they can do about it . I really think you need to speak to a solicitor as this seems really messy but i suggest when you first talk to them you keep on point with your main issues and then after you have done that move on to the more ambiguous issues , after all we are not lawyers

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I thi k what you should do is use one of these adveets which the forum is throwing about, looks like dan is promoting cowboys bow, under 2 grand for a new bathroom one add says , bit of a pee take on a pro tilers forum imo

Attachments

• 458FFD68-C453-4F9E-9EC1-8CECE1197503.png
    458FFD68-C453-4F9E-9EC1-8CECE1197503.png
    349.8 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
I hope I'm not out of turn here but I agree that the setting out could have been worked out far better, especially on the floor. Normally you set out to extreme furthest points so in your case one edge would have been under the door so there shouldn't be a need for 'slithers'. Now that you have what you have, slithers are the only option but shouldn't look too bad.

As for the corner of the shower, it drives me nuts seeing tiles running out with deminishing cuts, thats usually because the walls aren't plum but can easily be sorted in the prep stages or by bedding up https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ sometimes. Okay this takes longer to do but the finish is far better for you the customer. Did this guy board out the shower area first because if so he needs a new 6' level!!
Regarding the silicone beads within the internal corners, this has to be done to comply with building regs anyway but yes, go with the best tile colour match however, whatever you do, please make sure your man can silicone up neatly otherwise it will just destroy it all even more. The last thing you need is to have green silicone smeared all over the place!!

Finally, pricing...... Did you only get the 2 quotes? We're these people recommended?
In future get references, talk to people and even be cheeky and ask if you can see people's previous work. If you get to see their work then you can make judgement yourself.
I've seen pictures of people's work that they themselves use to advertise their services but it's absolutely shocking. Unless you're in the trade then you probably wouldn't see or notice some of the rubbish that's produced and so even some customers themselves just see shiny new tiles on a wall and think it's the business when in fact, it's shocking!!

I hope you end up with the finish you want and everything goes well.

Stu
[automerge]1581545937[/automerge]
Oh, one other thing......that bath fitting price, I have just quoted to refit a bath for someone, albeit back in its original place.....£90 including silicone and tap connections and I will even fit the wall mounted tri-fold shower screen too.
No more than 3 hours work Saturday morning. So, £300 for this guy to move and fit a new one 200mm away OMG!! Even if it takes half a day, that's one nice income!

Last edited:

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
£90 including silicone and tap connections and I will even fit the wall mounted tri-fold shower screen too.

You can come and do some for me then. :)

£90 won’t leave you much after vehicle running costs, tax, ni and materials.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A bit of a statement Craig 😁
Did you mean British Standard rather than industry standard?
I think we need to know what sort of porcelain tiles are going down
were you drunk when you posted this ??
No, my fat fingers and I didn’t have my glasses on, when i read it back i realised only the thickest and stupidest of people wouldn’t be able to understand it and try and be clever , so I couldn’t be arsed changing it.
Point proven ;)
[automerge]1581579304[/automerge]
Ive no idea why julians post has been qouted ?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
No, my fat fingers and I didn’t have my glasses on, when i read it back i realised only the thickest and stupidest of people wouldn’t be able to understand it and try and be clever , so I couldn’t be arsed changing it.
Point proven ;)
thanks for clearing that up mate...
as I thought it was just some thick as sh$t plasterer writing it.... :cool:

J

J Sid

Point proven ;)
I see your still ignoring court order to stop stalking me Craig

OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
I hope I'm not out of turn here but I agree that the setting out could have been worked out far better, especially on the floor. Normally you set out to extreme furthest points so in your case one edge would have been under the door so there shouldn't be a need for 'slithers'. Now that you have what you have, slithers are the only option but shouldn't look too bad.

As for the corner of the shower, it drives me nuts seeing tiles running out with deminishing cuts, thats usually because the walls aren't plum but can easily be sorted in the prep stages or by bedding up https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ sometimes. Okay this takes longer to do but the finish is far better for you the customer. Did this guy board out the shower area first because if so he needs a new 6' level!!
Regarding the silicone beads within the internal corners, this has to be done to comply with building regs anyway but yes, go with the best tile colour match however, whatever you do, please make sure your man can silicone up neatly otherwise it will just destroy it all even more. The last thing you need is to have green silicone smeared all over the place!!

Finally, pricing...... Did you only get the 2 quotes? We're these people recommended?
In future get references, talk to people and even be cheeky and ask if you can see people's previous work. If you get to see their work then you can make judgement yourself.
I've seen pictures of people's work that they themselves use to advertise their services but it's absolutely shocking. Unless you're in the trade then you probably wouldn't see or notice some of the rubbish that's produced and so even some customers themselves just see shiny new tiles on a wall and think it's the business when in fact, it's shocking!!

I hope you end up with the finish you want and everything goes well.

Stu
[automerge]1581545937[/automerge]
Oh, one other thing......that bath fitting price, I have just quoted to refit a bath for someone, albeit back in its original place.....£90 including silicone and tap connections and I will even fit the wall mounted tri-fold shower screen too.
No more than 3 hours work Saturday morning. So, £300 for this guy to move and fit a new one 200mm away OMG!! Even if it takes half a day, that's one nice income!

Thanks.

He was reccommended by a friend but think this is because he was a carpenter on another company's project at that time and he is a good carpenter.

He came yesterday and fitted extra slivers to the door with an oak threshold under the door- he wanted to do all in wood but I told him the floor needs to fill the room! Looks alright now, slivers and slightly uneven grout lines but sigh.

I'm a bit worried about his silicone skills but its the last job to do before he gets paid.

£6,570 is what he's expecting total - and the only materials he bought were: white plastic extractor fan, basic switch cords, geberit cistern with no frame, mdf for toilet cabinet, pine for bath sides, tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, 2m underfloor heating with control panel, ditra mat, steel bath (£120) plus wear and tear on his tools and a few nails and screws maybe.

I'm going to write to him to say I think his £1800+VAT for materials is too much of a mark-up, since he's admitted when I asked for receipts that he added mark-up and refused receipts.

(Included in the £6570: materials as above, vat and labour, which didn't include taking out the old suite or rubbish disposal or decorating).

"Provisions for Sanitary Ware" line item - £600 and this above the £1500 for fitting bath, sink and loo despite no changes of position (bath panel/ toilet cabinet/ shower-screen/box for shower NOT INCLUDED! ). I was in a haze when I agreed, having just lost my father and being a novice to this - but I did write to him to clarify before accepting quote re: materials that if he didn't buy things he wouldn't charge me for them. What's my standing re not paying the materials costs or asking for receipts.

He's also blanket charged 20% VAT on all materials and labour, which I think is wrong?

Thanks for any further feedback.

Further moan - electrics not signed off after I bought exactly the agreed IP rated products, due to his miscommunication and underfloor heating warantee invalidated by his delay.

I honestly like the guy I just hate being peed on and told it's raining.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Brill. He’s done correct thing there. Get a cert from them for that

has he given / will he give you his vat number. It will be on the invoice.

Reply to Is this wall and floor tiling acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock