Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this wall and floor tiling acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Tess

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Invested in expensive tiles (£1,200 for this lot) and the tiler initially charged over £1000 to fit these 9sqm as part of his refurb of my whole bathroom (plastering prep was extra). I have argued him down to match another quote because of the state of the corners - slivers etc, but does the rest of the job look acceptable and long lasting to you? There is a wedge shaped gap at the door that I wonder how he will fill. The tiles have a gap to the wall I can slide card between them up to 2.5 cm deep (shown). Please advise.
[automerge]1579874606[/automerge]
few more pics.. the rainshower pipe wobbles in its hole, is that acceptable?
Has there been adequate waterproofing used? (glazed and sealed ceramic green tile)
Many Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_4810.JPG
    IMG_4810.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4813.JPG
    IMG_4813.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4802.JPG
    IMG_4802.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 202
  • fullsizeoutput_314d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_314d.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 208
  • fullsizeoutput_314c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_314c.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 203
  • fullsizeoutput_314b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_314b.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_4824.JPG
    IMG_4824.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4802.JPG
    IMG_4802.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3154.JPG
    IMG_3154.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
I agree, I've been quite upset about that lack of care and disappointed in the finish for these beautiful tiles. This is my family bathroom for the next ten years and the first time I've invested anything like that much in my home. Hopefully the guy can make some sense of the door gap before he goes, to me it looks like a gap too big for just a brass plate, perhaps it needs to have some tile slivers -Idk. Thanks for your answer Lou.
[automerge]1580385202[/automerge]
tile looks fine to me, just badly planned and setout.
Thanks Al

OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
The setting out and overall care in finish isn’t great. How much did you pay for just the tile?

The original quote was £1060 for 9sqm with me paying for trims, sealants, grout but I have argued this should be decreased due to the unsightly finish, to be in line with the other quote I had which was £485 including VAT. The project manager of the bathroom who was also the tiler has since agreed to this reduction but says he is not happy about it.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
£1060 for 9sqm!!!!

Can I do all your tile please.

OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
£1060 for 9sqm!!!!

Can I do all your tile please.
Pre-tax, yeah - I've been had.
[automerge]1580399398[/automerge]
I expected a high quality finish correlating to the high quote for tile, and bought expensive tiles with that expectation.

Last edited:

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Tess,

Unfortunately there are a few setting out issues here and clearly the cost IMO is a little over the top for that amount of tile with the tile you have chosen. However, it is retrievable to a point as the actual tile looks ok as i'm assuming of course that the tiles are meant to be a little un-even with a rustic style edge hence the slight uneven grout joints? he needs to cut a sliver of tile to go under the door and shave the door down to size. thankfully with this style of floor tile, a small cut isn't the end of the world and would look much better then a threshold filling that gap. The cuts into the corner are not ideal but at least he has wrapped them around the corner to make then look like 1 whole tile so I would probably be putting a nice neat small silicone colour match bead in each corner to tidy it up. The cut around pipe you have shown will look fine with a chrome cover plate and maybe thats what he planned to do anyway? I'd say if he gives you the discount and sorts them issues out you might still be ok, not perfect but still a decent look. Hope this helps.

B

Bill

I could have tiled & grouted (expertly) that in less than a day and would have gone on holiday for the rest of the week........... How much?

Although I feel your pain at the job - think that the expensive quote was correct?

OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
Hi Tess,

Unfortunately there are a few setting out issues here and clearly the cost IMO is a little over the top for that amount of tile with the tile you have chosen. However, it is retrievable to a point as the actual tile looks ok as i'm assuming of course that the tiles are meant to be a little un-even with a rustic style edge hence the slight uneven grout joints? he needs to cut a sliver of tile to go under the door and shave the door down to size. thankfully with this style of floor tile, a small cut isn't the end of the world and would look much better then a threshold filling that gap. The cuts into the corner are not ideal but at least he has wrapped them around the corner to make then look like 1 whole tile so I would probably be putting a nice neat small silicone colour match bead in each corner to tidy it up. The cut around pipe you have shown will look fine with a chrome cover plate and maybe thats what he planned to do anyway? I'd say if he gives you the discount and sorts them issues out you might still be ok, not perfect but still a decent look. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your detailed response JMC. Super Appreciated. I've also just paid a tiler to give his opinion in person and he also said the threshold needs to have that extra bit of tile before the threshold bar (but thought one of those too). Last time we spoke tiler guy said threshold wasn't in the quote but he would do it - the bathroom floor was definately in the quote lmao!

For the silicone bead would you say colourmatch to the green tiles would be best aesthetically? And that goes all the way up each corner?
The tiler who visited also pointed out the trims around the window are on in two different ways/ different thickness showing to the room, but perhaps there was a reason for that.

It was an expensive job - 6.5 k for the bathroom and I bought nearly everything and prep was standard, old suite and floor were already out and new basic floor laid. Hopefully I've learnt some lessons going forward with new contractors. When I asked for receipts due to high materials costs (1.8k) guy admitted he worked profit into his materials costs - reckon at least 50% and hasn't shown any receipts. Argued that I wanted him to take off that for two waste pipes I had bought. Will have to bring that up again. Just to give you a fuller picture of the story!
[automerge]1580413523[/automerge]
I could have tiled & grouted (expertly) that in less than a day and would have gone on holiday for the rest of the week........... How much?

Although I feel your pain at the job - think that the expensive quote was correct?
I don't know if I understand your question- the expensive quote was definitely intended by the tiler guy, it was even higher than that originally and I told him it was expensive, he took £120 off before it got to £1070 when I crazily accepted the quote! (I know I said 1060 earlier but checked now.)

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Not nice Tess, looks like they are probably a bit chancy and unfortunately they have had you a bit here but its difficult for a customer to choose the right tradesman sometimes.

With regards, the silicone, use a colour match as close to the tile as you can to hide the joint, will look miles better. Without seeing the setup of window properly in pictures, its hard to comment on the trim situation but sounds strange to have them 2 different ways.

Goodluck with the rest of it, hope it works out ok for you.

OP
T

Tess

-
Reaction score
Okay so I have another example of how this guy has been chancy :- I'm pretty sure it's a made up task I've just noticed - bearing in mind the bath moved forward like 20cm, toilet and sink stayed in their same places "Water and waste provisions for new sanitary ware: £180 materials, £380 labour (£560)"
T
his can't amount to hardly any new pipe or work as far as I can see?

I'm already paying £420 just for fitting the bath (including bath cost £120, I provided waste-pipe, not including the panel sides), £230 for fitting the sink (I provided the sink, taps and waste pipe) and £770 for fitting an electric bidet toilet, not including the cabinet surround.

I'm feeling I have fairly strong grounds on the basis I'm paying the fittings already to strike out this "Water and waste provisions" line item at £560. Anyone want to weigh in on this? Thanks

D

Dumbo

Have you had an estimate / quote for the works , if so did you accept it
Are these figures varying from the estimate / quote if you had one .

Reply to Is this wall and floor tiling acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock