Discuss Is it ok to leave SBR slurry to set before tiling...?. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

John the tile

I just want to know after ive brushed it on how long should i leave it before tiling,....

Will it be ok to let it set and dry for a few hours.?

Thanks

J

John the tile

Concrete floor with some unremovable bitumen..

Ive just spoke to a mapei tech guy who says its best to lay some mapei 2 part latex plan before tiling. He did also say the bitumen MUST come off, (ive got alot of it off - no loose stuff left)...

He says to use mapei eco prime first, but the stuff is well expensive.......

So will the sbr slurry be ok on top of the substrate prior to the latex plan ?

Thanks

J

John the tile

No. the latex was to be used prior to tiling because of the remains of bitumen on the floor, .....

Im sure the tech guy said if you have to tile onto bitumen its best to use a latex product because of its flexibility or Ive read it on here somewhere, before tiling.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
if i have to tile to bitumed residue that will not come off i use the slurry coat

i wouldnt buy latexplan

i use flexi addy too

H

hillhead

The slurry should be enough if there is sand in it or a bit of adhesive and the floor is level.
I have a floor on next week with stubborn bitumen on it too.
I'm going to slurry it and let it harden up before tiling it.

J

John the tile

just wanted to run past you a scenario of the floor needing levelling? same as above though, with regards to the bitumen. Sbr slurry/cement.

would you let it go tacky before laying some slc down rather than letting it go hard?.

Ta

J

John the tile

Thanks Kilty55

If the floor does need levelling though, let say 10mm is it best to let the slurry go tacky prior to pouring water based slc or latex based slc, ?

On a side note what substrates is latex based slc usually used for?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
yeah if you need to level then use as advised latex

let it go off yes dont pour on slc on top if its still wet

latex slc is for flexibility
so ufh jobs and timber floors etc

J

John the tile

Thanks kilty

ill let the slurry go hard before laying any slc.... Are we talking a few hours?

I wonder why the mapei guy says use latex rather than water based slc?

R

RDTiling

I found this thread and it seems to answer my question, however I thought I'd double check.

I had advice last week from Geoff of Plan Tec Tiling (Thanks again Geoff!) regarding an sbr slurry coat over a grano floor. The floor looked ok (level wise) but after getting my straight edge out there are a couple of areas that could do with levelling, so I'm proposing to apply weber SLC over the whole area.

is it still correct to let the slurry mix fully set before apply the SLC? It's looking like I'll be putting the slurry coat down on Friday and then looking to put the SLC either Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

i usually use weber for most things but my local CTD don't seem to stock webers sbr, so will probably end up using Bal Bond SBR.

Thanks all,
Rich

Q

Qwerty

Hi rich. Glad to be of some assistance.

You will be fine later the following day to apply SLC. Yes, let slurry dry fully.
Don't forget to take photos and post them :)

Reply to Is it ok to leave SBR slurry to set before tiling...?. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks