Currently reading:
Is It A Bad Tiling Job?

Discuss Is It A Bad Tiling Job? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tianqiang Situ

Hi, please can you help me on this, I think I have a tradesman done a bad wall tile job on our bath room wall, the house is a new build, only build last year, our bath room was only half height wall tile, so we want to increase the tile up to the ceiling and install a shower mixter tap, the wall is completely flat. I think the tiler put the tiles a bit uneven, the joints space dose not match the orginal space, (the tile are the same as the orginal one), the gouting dose not look good, it spread out of the joints, I spoke to the tradesman, they said is normal, there is nothing wrong, I am not too sure about this, please can anyone advise me, photos attached. Thanks

20151121_162634.jpg 20151121_162710.jpg 20151121_162727.jpg 20151121_162829.jpg 20151121_162853.jpg 20151121_163038.jpg 20151121_163056.jpg 20151121_163133.jpg 20151121_163211.jpg 20151121_163218.jpg 20151121_163302.jpg 20151121_163320.jpg 20151121_163433.jpg 20151121_163444.jpg 20151121_163528.jpg 20151121_163556.jpg 20151121_163649.jpg

T

Tianqiang Situ

Probably could have spent a bit more time cleaning the grout joints.
Hi thanks for your reply, the grout look much worst when he finished the job, he did not clean the grout when they are wet, I called him back the next day, he remove some grout with a hard brush, and he said ok. My biggest problem is the joint space not match, they are not in a straight and some of the tiles are a bit uneven. Can you tell from the photos?

T

Tianqiang Situ

If he didn't clean the grout until the next day then he on a hiding to nowhere trying to put it right.
I don't quite get what you mean. I did a tiling with my friend before, surely the grout need to be cleaned nicely when they are wet, not when they get dry. I am paying £200 labour only for tiling a 4.5 squre meter flat wall, surely the standrad should not be this poor, is that right?

I

Ian

I don't quite get what you mean. I did a tiling with my friend before, surely the grout need to be cleaned nicely when they are wet, not when they get dry. I am paying £200 labour only for tiling a 4.5 squre meter flat wall, surely the standrad should not be this poor, is that right?
Yes that is what whitebeam is saying, the grout should have been smoothed off and cleaned whilst it was still wet, any dust should be polished off the tile face when the grout has fully dried.

T

Tianqiang Situ

Yes that is what whitebeam is saying, the grout should have been smoothed off and cleaned whilst it was still wet, any dust should be polished off the tile face when the grout has fully dried.
Thanks for your reply too, any suggestion what I should do next? he said he has done nothing wrong, I am very unhappy, I am wondering if I can get a surveyer to give a reoport, to show if this is a up to standard job or not?

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Thanks for your reply too, any suggestion what I should do next? he said he has done nothing wrong, I am very unhappy, I am wondering if I can get a surveyer to give a reoport, to show if this is a up to standard job or not?
I wouldn't pay until it has been rectified to a professional standard, I think you have every right to be unhappy with the work looking at that finish

I

Ian

Before I condem the workmanship, can you take a photo from a bit further back, I'd be interested to see if the irregular grout joints have been caused by sizey tiles, it's possible and highly likely that the tiles you had added were a different batch and possibly a diferent size to the original work. It doesn't excuse the lips and shoddy grouting but it would still be good to see the bigger picture.

T

Tianqiang Situ

How many m2 has he fixed..
How many m2 has he fixed..
Hi, so far none, all he did is back the next day after I complainted, he used a hard brush to brush off the jonits, then used a metal stick to scratch on the jonits to make them look like they have a gap, I just uploaded a photo, not sure if you can see there is a black line in the joint, that is the mark after he scratch the joints.

20151122_213752.jpg

T

Tianqiang Situ

I would condemn that work, looks really rough, doesn't look like spacers have been used, different size joints, tiles lipping and grout looks like it's been put on but then obviously in a hurry when washing off!......a truly terrible mess in my opinion, sorry to have to say it but for a pro tiler that ain't up to scratch
Yes he used spacers, the spacers he used are not the same sized as the the ones before, therefore the jonit length not match. The tiles are not very even. as soon as he finished the grout, I said to him should you make the grout look better while they still wet, he said not too worry, they will look good when they dry, just use a dry cloth to wip them off, it will be ok, I think he wa BSing me.

T

Tianqiang Situ

Before I condem the workmanship, can you take a photo from a bit further back, I'd be interested to see if the irregular grout joints have been caused by sizey tiles, it's possible and highly likely that the tiles you had added were a different batch and possibly a diferent size to the original work. It doesn't excuse the lips and shoddy grouting but it would still be good to see the bigger picture.
Hi please see the photos, the bottom 3 lines of tiles are the original work, can you tell the new tiles are different batch?

20151122_220634.jpg 20151122_220644.jpg 20151122_220658.jpg 20151122_220737.jpg 20151122_220749.jpg 20151122_220800.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Not the worse job I've seen......how do you know the walls are flat?
Just because it's new it doesn't meen it's going to be flat I've tiled many new builds with dodgy walls.
I've also tiled many walls like yours I always advice a nice mosaic boarder to separate the old and new tiles this eliminate's any issues with different batches of tiles size wise and shading..
Of course more care could of been taken.......but getting a surveyor in......really. ..lol

T

Tianqiang Situ

Not the worse job I've seen......how do you know the walls are flat?
Just because it's new it doesn't meen it's going to be flat I've tiled many new builds with dodgy walls.
I've also tiled many walls like yours I always advice a nice mosaic boarder to separate the old and new tiles this eliminate's any issues with different batches of tiles size wise and shading..
Of course more care could of been taken.......but getting a surveyor in......really. ..lol
Hi Andy, I think you came and gave me a quote on this 2 week ago, I am in Brockwroth, you gave me a quote for £160 including Grout and Adhesive (without changing the taps), I hope you still can remember. I think you have seen the wall, what do you think of the wall? You said not the worse job you have seen, that means the job is not good, do you agree? If the job is not good, I should not be happy with it, is that right? What is your advise for now if there is no need to get a Surveyor in?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SJPurdy

From your pics in post #15 I suspect some of the newer tiles are slightly smaller than the older ones but that should have not been a problem to a professional tiler. The grouting is not acceptable in my opinion and should be put right without leaving grey tool marks on the set grout. The corner joint in one of the pics shows that the wall may not be as flat as you think - the newer tiles stepping back compared to the older ones, this then becomes a bit subjective should the tiler have started to straighten out the wall to keep the corner joint straight? - I don't think any of us can really say just looking at the pics.

T

Tianqiang Situ

From your pics in post #15 I suspect some of the newer tiles are slightly smaller than the older ones but that should have not been a problem to a professional tiler. The grouting is not acceptable in my opinion and should be put right without leaving grey tool marks on the set grout. The corner joint in one of the pics shows that the wall may not be as flat as you think - the newer tiles stepping back compared to the older ones, this then becomes a bit subjective should the tiler have started to straighten out the wall to keep the corner joint straight? - I don't think any of us can really say just looking at the pics.
Thanks for your reply, I have some photos in my phone for the wall before, can you tell from the photos the wall flat or not? Please can you tell me your thought.

20150922_214418.jpg 20150922_214428.jpg 20150922_214439.jpg 20150922_214453.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Hi Andy, I think you came and gave me a quote on this 2 week ago, I am in Brockwroth, you gave me a quote for £160 including Grout and Adhesive (without changing the taps), I hope you still can remember. I think you have seen the wall, what do you think of the wall? You said not the worse job you have seen, that means the job is not good, do you agree? If the job is not good, I should not be happy with it, is that right? What is your advise for now if there is no need to get a Surveyor in?
If your not happy then don't pay him, I know you wanted someone to do the plumbing and the tiling but this is why I quoted the tiling only and left you my plumbers number that way you get a qualified plumber and a qualified tiler.....not someone that dabbles in a bit of both..

Last edited:
T

Tianqiang Situ

If your not happy then don't pay him, I know you wanted someone to do the plumbing and the tiling but this is why I quoted the tiling only and left you my plumbers number that way you a qualified plumber and a qualified tiler.....not someone that dabbles in a bit of both..
Hi Andy, I will be more than happy to pay if the finish is up to the standard, all I want is to fix the problem and make the things right. You were my last quote, I admitted I was too lazy to call your plumber, I was thinking just to change the taps, no need to get a plumer. Please can you advise me what I can do to fix those problems?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Hi Andy, I will be more than happy to pay if the finish is up to the standard, all I want is to fix the problem and make the things right. You were my last quote, I admitted I was too lazy to call your plumber, I was thinking just to change the taps, no need to get a plumer. Please can you advise me what I can do to fix those problems?
Call him back and tell him to fix it if your not happy. ...simple really. .

T

Tianqiang Situ

Call him back and tell him to fix it if your not happy. ...simple really. .
I called them and explained my concerned and sent them the photos by email, bellows are the emails reply I received from them. By the look of the emails, they don't seem to think there is anything unusal. I am a bit worry they will refuse to fix.

Thank you for email
Just to confirm our telephone conversation I am prepared as one of the directors to come to visit after nothing alarmed me in the photos,better to have a visual and as I require one of my other skilled workmen apart from XX I will be bringing YY however as explained he is out of the area on Monday so I will try and arrange this for after 5pm sometime after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

p4ulo

I think its the grouting that lets it down.
Obvs the tiles are slightly different to the old ones, and the tiler has stuggled to line them up, it was either the tiles not lining up or the grout lines being smaller.....from the distant shots you showed of the full tiling above the bath it looks good, but the grout lines are far too "scooped out" and not as full as the original tiling, which is why it notices.
Hopefully with a re-grout you'll be happy.

T

Tianqiang Situ

Obvs the tiles are slightly different to the old ones, and the tiler has stuggled to line them up, it was either the tiles not lining up or the grout lines being smaller.....from the distant shots you showed of the full tiling above the bath it looks good, but the grout lines are far too "scooped out" and not as full as the original tiling, which is why it notices.
Hi, Thanks for your advise. Can I ask you how do you normally do a re-grout? do you use a bottle of grout remover to remove the old grout then grout again? I just think the way that man removed the grout last time was not right, using a metal stick to scratch the the grout joints, I just think he would chip the tiles, please can you advise how to do a proper re-grout so that I can ensure them doing the right thing. Thanks

Reply to Is It A Bad Tiling Job? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement