Search the forum,

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mp3wizard

I hear you,

well I took some advice from earlier and I ordered some Deltaboards, I personally think it would of been ok but everyone said that I need it so I bought it.

Self levelling compound aswell... can I not just be extra vigilant and lay a good layer of adhesive?

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
SLC protects the wires, your using a metal trowel. It does have sharp corners, plus it guarantees you fully encase the wires, it's what most on here do if not all. It's the best way

M

mp3wizard

ok cheers, well I will try to fit the insulation boards this weekend and start with the rest the weekend after :)

O

Old Mod

Under floor heating or UFH.
It has several purposes.
It gives a far better transference of heat from cable to tile.
It should give you a flat surface to tile to.
And as already mentioned, will protect your cables from accidental damage.

UFH wires NEED to be fully encased for them to be efficient and to prevent them burning out.
Covering them with tile adhesive does not perform these tasks well!!
You may think you you've covered them or fully encased them, but you're just as likely to have not.
If there was a divided opinion on here I could understand your hesitance, but there isn't.
I appreciate it may look like another expense, however, as has already been stated, the cost of the extra adhesive required will also mount up fast.
If the UFH is laid with dilligence then the cost of the slc will be kept to a minimum.

M

mp3wizard

you know it is disrespectful to refer to someone as a third party when that person is around,

I wouldn't expect you to come into my job today and be able to do what I do, but I would make allowances if you were trying to learn, when I have a much better level of expertise than someone I offer them a helping hand up rather than look down and mock them.

anyway, I'm very grateful for all the advice, so thanks.

F

Flintstone

My advice would be to take it all on board and do what your being advised by highly skilled and experienced tilers, and not to think oh there is no need for this that and the other. I think that's what is coming across from you.

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen