Search the forum,

Discuss help - power wash marks on limestone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sarah cilliers

Just had grey/black indian limestone slabs laid - the builders gave them a power wash before sealing... but now left with squiqqly lines covering all the stone, and lots of white areas around the grout. I don't they used any product - just water - but obviously they used a concentrated jet. The sealing hasn't been done yet, while we try and figure how how to fix it. Can anything be done?

W

wetdec

When you use water under pressure on stone the pressure needs applying equally accross the surface.

As the water under pressure hits stone it cuts / fractures particles from the surface which could be compared to etching.

If the water is not applied equally then the effect is different at each stroke EG a close up stroke will cut a deeper trough that one further away. Its this that causes the stone to have marks on it.

It will dry yes but the surface will no longer look the same all over it will appear marked.

This will not apply to slate unless it is dirty or been sealed prior to washing.

:thumbsup:

T

Terry Cottar

Hi guys - thanks for all your advice.

Good and bad news... builders came back and acid-cleaned the stones to get the power wash lines off, then put one coat of sealer on. It worked on the wiggly lines ... but has still left the cement/grout stains on the edges of some of the tiles. Any advice, before I attack the tiles with steel wool?!

sounds like the cement and grout needs to be cleaned first

tel

E

enduro

Hi guys - thanks for all your advice.

Good and bad news... builders came back and acid-cleaned the stones to get the power wash lines off, then put one coat of sealer on. It worked on the wiggly lines ... but has still left the cement/grout stains on the edges of some of the tiles. Any advice, before I attack the tiles with steel wool?!
Now you will have problems...Acid on limestone will seriously damage it, it will etch the stone the only way i can see you now solving this problem is to get someone to grind the top surface off and diamond polish back to the desired affect you want. This should be down to the builders now, they caused the problem and made it worst by putting Acid cleaner onto your floor. No matter what cleaners etc you use wont solve this problem now.

Reply to help - power wash marks on limestone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.