Search the forum,

Discuss help - power wash marks on limestone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sarah cilliers

Just had grey/black indian limestone slabs laid - the builders gave them a power wash before sealing... but now left with squiqqly lines covering all the stone, and lots of white areas around the grout. I don't they used any product - just water - but obviously they used a concentrated jet. The sealing hasn't been done yet, while we try and figure how how to fix it. Can anything be done?

J

jay

sounds like something ive seen before high pressure cleaners can do a lot of damage to slate limestone sandstone seem to remove the coloring and the fix relates to the cause if its white now when it dries it may disapear until the sealer goes on i would test seal in a small un seen area 1st :oops:

W

wetdec

When you use water under pressure on stone the pressure needs applying equally accross the surface.

As the water under pressure hits stone it cuts / fractures particles from the surface which could be compared to etching.

If the water is not applied equally then the effect is different at each stroke EG a close up stroke will cut a deeper trough that one further away. Its this that causes the stone to have marks on it.

It will dry yes but the surface will no longer look the same all over it will appear marked.

This will not apply to slate unless it is dirty or been sealed prior to washing.

:thumbsup:

S

sarah cilliers

Hi guys - thanks for all your advice.

Good and bad news... builders came back and acid-cleaned the stones to get the power wash lines off, then put one coat of sealer on. It worked on the wiggly lines ... but has still left the cement/grout stains on the edges of some of the tiles. Any advice, before I attack the tiles with steel wool?!

Reply to help - power wash marks on limestone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen