Discuss Help! Is this acceptable or am I just being too fussy. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I’ve recently had my bathroom tiled. I think a few errors have been made and would like to know if I'm being fussy.

Shower:
1. Gap of about an inch left above top row of tiles
2. Thin strip of tiles along the bottom and even these are different sizes with different grout spacing (see pics). Looks awful in general
3. Some tiles have lips (3-4 in the shower, 1 on the floor)
4. Grout not even in places, some gaps filled perfectly others barely at all. In some areas there too much grout, especially in corners.
5. Small bits of adhesive showing through grout
6. Corners were grouted and then sealant added OVER in in the corners! Most likely to hide the mistakes, but looks awful and I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to seal over grout.

Boxed pipe area: looks particularly awful

1. Uneven grout/messy grout, and one section missing grout entirely
2. Different tile width
3. Not laid straight
4. Sealent is bad, some sections are about 10mm between the tile and the wall

I messaged the owner of the company and he said agreed some bits did not look good but I shouldn’t be inspecting the tiles from so close and he believes this is industry standard. I’ve been made to feel like I’m being too picky. I do not agree, I've said it's subpar.

Am I being too fussy?

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

top shower.jpg

Paulg83

TF
Reaction score
This is a shocking attempt at tiling, no way this was done by a competent tiler. You are entitled to look at work being carried out in your home regardless of how close you look.
You need to give him the opportunity to fix it but I'm afraid you might have an issue on your hands as the only way to fix this is a whole rip out and done properly.

Good luck.

S

Sandbb

It doesn't look good :( Have they used more than one color of grout? Is some of it Epoxy grout or colored caulking? I can't tell exactly what's going on, but it shouldn't be smeared on the tiles and it should be cleaned off the tiles, only remaining in the joints. If it's regular grout I've had luck getting a handful of plastic spoons and carefully scrap it off the tiles (dispose of the spoon when it starts looking ragged and use a new one).

If you have access to the grout and feel ok doing it yourself you can also dig out the thinset that is showing through and cover it with new grout.

Personally I wouldn't be happy with this job, it looks like a DIY person did it, not a professional. Some people will say whatever they can think of to keep from having to fix it.

Reaction score
It still surprises me after decades in this business how some 'tradesmen' are prepared to leave a job in such a state. They've got eyes in their heads and can see their own shoddy workmanship - why do it?
Baffled.

Get your money back - it's going to cost more than he charged in the first place to put right.

Reply to Help! Is this acceptable or am I just being too fussy. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks