Discuss Please help judge this work, looking for expertise! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just had someone tile my front path but to me it looks a little odd, but no idea if this is acceptable and I'm being too fussy. They were laid 4 days ago and for some reason they are still lifting super easy, I am not sure why. If anyone can advise it would be hugely appreciated.

Attachments

• signal-2023-06-04-18-52-33-641.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Reaction score
As a fellow homeowner I would definitely not accept this, if it bothers you now it will definitely bother you every time you go outside. Looks more like a Friday afternoon rushed job.

Reaction score
As a fellow homeowner I would definitely not accept this, if it bothers you now it will definitely bother you every time you go outside. Looks more like a Friday afternoon rushed job.
Thank you so much, that's really useful. They have offered to remove and replace, but I'm not confident it would be much better. I might swallow the hit and just rip out and start again:(

Reaction score
No problem, I'm sorry I cant help you more, its a frustrating situation to be in. Maybe someone else here has a better idea what to do with the tiler, maybe they can send someone more experienced if its a company? Getting a good tiler/tradesman is so difficult these days.
On the bright side, you mentioned tiles are lifting super easy - at least it will make ripping it up easier..🥲

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
It’s difficult to tell what’s going on from the pics…
Was it a solid substrate? I.e. screed?
Did they use adhesive or sand & cement to fit the tiles?

One thing is for sure though….that isn’t a particularly good finish and needs redoing.

Reaction score
Onto concrete slabs, they were a Bit wonky, sealed with something then they used ardex? They also nominated to butt joints, not grout. But you can see the adhesive.....

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
If the tiles are not bonded and lift easily, can you lift a tile to see if there is any adhesive bonded on the underside of the tile. Also, prod the adhesive to see if it is still soft and take a pic of the rear of the tile please.

Reaction score
Visual the tiles are slightly different sizes not uniform in each colour and terracotta ones look larger than the black. Only way to lay them to look good is by eye and with a fairly wide grout line 5 mm ish , the original Victorian ones would have been butt jointed but we're better quality fired nicely and uniform sizing . Originals would have been laid in sand and cement. Floor prep was also incorrect, basically anything they could do wrong they have.

Reply to Please help judge this work, looking for expertise! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks