Search the forum,

Discuss Grout Cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Proper Job

Hi need a little bit of advice i tiled a bathroom over a month ago and in the corner above the bath the grout has started to crack but nowhere else, its the first time i have had this happen. The bathroom was reboarded and skimmed before i tiled it but it was over a month until i tiled the bathroom. I tanked around the bath and shower area and used bal white star and mapei grout ultra colour plus to tile the job.

The conclusion i have come is that there has either been movement in walls or it could be the vibration of the whirl pool bath because its in right in the lower corner where the wall meets (cracked grout).

Now i was going to rake the grout out of the joint and regrout the 30 cm grout line(cracked grout line is about 5 cm long) and then silicon with a very thin bead down the joint line where the two walls meet.

P

Proper Job

i do normally recommed it because its classed as a expanding joint but the customer didn't want it. Im off now to go and see how bad it is, i have the tipex on the ready (joking)

G

grumpygrouter

Unfortunately if the customer wants grout in the join he will have to put up with cracking. Really should be siliconed otherwise problems will occur in the future IMO.

D

DHTiling

your chance to prove your point that corners need to be siliconed....lol lol......dave.....

some customers always think they know better...

P

Proper Job

went out had a look tonight and all it was a little bit of grout left on the surface of the tile in the corner and cracked. i cleaned the grout away and it was fine afterwards. Bloody customers

G

GazTech

went out had a look tonight and all it was a little bit of grout left on the surface of the tile in the corner and cracked. i cleaned the grout away and it was fine afterwards. Bloody customers
Wouldn't the job be so much easier if it weren't for customers lol

Reply to Grout Cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen