Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss First time tiler advice in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello. First time tiler looking for some advice.
Doing a bathroom reno and had a professional tiler booked in to tie in with plumber, but we will sadly not have the room prepped for new tiles in time to meet the tilers scheduling window…so due to not wanting to be without a bathroom for any longer than necessary, I am considering DIY tile. Can someone take me through steps from where I am now (a mess) to finish? We are doing floor to ceiling with metro tiles
So removing the old tiles has ripped off the plasterboard and we are left with bare brick/ breeze blocks and awaiting plumber this week to remove bathroom suite and fittings. This is where we are now.
Need to re board…a decorator friend has said Hardie board (luckily as husband was just gonna plasterboard) ? Can this be dot and dabbed?
Then do we need to “tank” the area? The whole area or just the shower section?
Are metro tiles relatively simple for a first timer DIYer?
At what stage do I get the plumber back to install new bathroom suite?
Thanks in advance for any help

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ok this is a long one. Start with your re boarding. needs to be screwed to the wall
to make it secure and you could use https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ behind to fill any voids.
You only need to tank the areas that will be getting wet, so the bath, shower ect
Metros are a good tile for a beginner to use but you have to make sure you set them out right.
you dont want to start at the bottom with a full tile and find you have a 5mm sliver to try and get in at the top.
You need to gauge up to get equal cuts top and bottom but be aware af things like top of bath, windows, shower trays
as again try and stay away from small cuts, the same horizontaly. Keep checking the rows for level as you go.
Use 2mm spacers. Ask your local tile shop a decent https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to use. As only metros a Bal white star would be ok,
leave a day and grout. Let us know how you get on.... some pics would be good 😀

Reaction score
Please help me find this shower pane tile.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-09-08 at 2.53.35 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-08 at 2.53.35 PM.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 7

Reply to First time tiler advice in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock