Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Expansion joints in opus porcelain tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, can I please ask for some advice. I am laying 70m2 of porcelain tiles in 4 size opus pattern.

The floor is one half new extension (floor levelled about 2 months ago), the other old concrete.

I am laying electric underfloor heating.

I have patched the old floor to make it as even as possible, then I am priming the floor and laying 10mm insulation boards on flexible adhesive, then four electric UFH mats linked to 2 thermostats and then SLC.

My question is how and where do I put an expansion joint in an opus pattern. Could I use a silicone sealant in the same colour as the grout and apply to the top edge of tiles from right to left, or do I have to end all the tiles in one place and put a straight joint accross (if this makes sense).

Any tips on how to keep on the opus design on track over such a huge area. I usually use the 30,40, 50 method, but am a bit nervous at the huge area I need to cover.

Any words of wisdom would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Steve

I

Ian

Best way is to use a silicone colour matched to the grout (mapei). Also consider a de-coupling membrane for such a large area, porcelain should be fine without, just something to consider.

W

White Room

If you do any controlled joints they should be straight, cracks don't follow joints on opus patterns

S

Scott

Same thing, an expansion joint is sometimes called a control joint as in it controlls the movement :)

Reaction score
Thanks for that - are you saying that I won't need one? If so, what will give if there is any movement? Could I put a controlled joint around the edges or do I need a horizontal straight joint?

Reply to Expansion joints in opus porcelain tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks