Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion joints in opus porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi, can I please ask for some advice. I am laying 70m2 of porcelain tiles in 4 size opus pattern.

The floor is one half new extension (floor levelled about 2 months ago), the other old concrete.

I am laying electric underfloor heating.

I have patched the old floor to make it as even as possible, then I am priming the floor and laying 10mm insulation boards on flexible adhesive, then four electric UFH mats linked to 2 thermostats and then SLC.

My question is how and where do I put an expansion joint in an opus pattern. Could I use a silicone sealant in the same colour as the grout and apply to the top edge of tiles from right to left, or do I have to end all the tiles in one place and put a straight joint accross (if this makes sense).

Any tips on how to keep on the opus design on track over such a huge area. I usually use the 30,40, 50 method, but am a bit nervous at the huge area I need to cover.

Any words of wisdom would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Steve

I

Ian

Best way is to use a silicone colour matched to the grout (mapei). Also consider a de-coupling membrane for such a large area, porcelain should be fine without, just something to consider.

W

White Room

If you do any controlled joints they should be straight, cracks don't follow joints on opus patterns

S

Scott

Same thing, an expansion joint is sometimes called a control joint as in it controlls the movement :)

Reply to Expansion joints in opus porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen