Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Excellent Forum - Especially for a newbie like me! - HELP HELP!!! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Z

zee

Hi All,

I am Zee and came across this informative forum whilst researching natural stone and how best to lay it etc..

I am in the process of renovating my house and after years of laminate and then solid wood flooring, i have decided to go for stone and have seen some excellent floors in showrooms etc

I first liked the unfilled light tumbled travertine and the pictures shown on the website looked awesome but when the samples arrived it was nothing like it. i then visited many other showrooms and started looking at Limestone and Marble. With the Marble, I noticed that the tumbled marble looks very much like the tumbled travertine and I prefer this then the polished look. I am originally from the middle east and polished marble is everywhere!!!

The issue I have is that I am planning to lay the stone across the entire ground floor and that is the whole 100sqm!! of it. My friend is also doing the same the project so that's nearly 200 sqm. We are looking for quotes based on the larger qty to get the best prices..

Can the experts please provide some advice based on the following facts:

1) I have young children, so plenty of running around and the stone will be tested properly, so what's the most durable stone suited for this?

2) Is marble more durable then travertine and limestone?

3) The travertine filled and tumbled looks nice but is this the right choice for busy floors with children

4) I am laying the stone on concrete floors with celotex 75 or 100mm insulation and then the UFH pipes will be laid on top of this (clipped to the insulation). The UFH pipes are John Guest and are 15mm in thickness. The pumped screed fat 50/55mm will be laid on top of the UFH pipes and left to dry. I was then thinking of using Schluter Ditra matting (Schlüter-Systems UK - Schlüter-Systems) to protect the stone from movement and cracking. Finally the stone will be laid on top of the matting. The natural stone tiles I am looking at are in the range of 10 to 12mm thick. - is this correct method or am I missing something?

5) Any recommendations for an expert natural stonemason or tiler in the buckinghamshire area?

6) Thank you reading this and will appreciate your advice

regards

Zee

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Hello Zee and welcome..

I think Tumbled stone is perfect, it takes much more wear than say a polished or honed...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You're asking all the right questions there. I'll let the professionals do the answering though. I'm just the forum tea boy. You take sugar?

Z

zee

All,

Thank you for the warm welcome - Now lets see what the experts have to say :smilewinkgrin:

Whilst I am here, I would also like to add that I am beginning to get some more samples that I ordered over the internet and also quotes for 200 sqm. The prices for similar stone varies so much between suppliers and the difference is almost up to 40%. Of course I wouldnt order without visiting the supplier and checking the stone, but, what do I need to look for? The sizes and thickness seem to be the same 610x406x12...

Does anybody recommend any importers wholesalers or quarries that are worth visiting?

Thanks

Reply to Excellent Forum - Especially for a newbie like me! - HELP HELP!!! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks